Reload this Page >

Drive times in Europe

Search

Drive times in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:53 PM
joan moulton

Drive times in Europe

Expedia.com has a routing service you can use to get mileage, directions and drive times between places in Europe. I'll let you know how good they were when I get back later. But some of the places I wanted to get to were very small and the site handled it. Also you can get the distances listed in miles or kilometers. I finally opted for km because the car's odometer will read that way.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Rex

There are three established leaders already, in case you want to compare how Expedia stacks up.<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy.com<BR ><BR>or<BR><BR>www.shellgeostar.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:16 AM
Been there

Joan,<BR><BR>No matter what maping service you use, add time to their estimates. You will get lost or make some wrong turns. Expect it.<BR><BR>Been there

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Jason

Iv'e run into tremendous traffic jams due to construction, heavy truck traffic, etc. while driving the autostrada between Nice & La Spezia (thru Genoa), so obviously you can't always depend on being able to drive the stated speeds.<BR>I agree with the recommendation to add extra time to your calculated drive times.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Rex

I have frequently been able to make drives in less time than they show on the various route mapping services. But then again, I consider 150-170 a reasonable and comnfortable "freeway" (autobahn/autoroute/autostrada) cruising speed.<BR>

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Been there

Not all of your driving will be on the Autobahns. When you are on the secondary roads, expect delays. That big, slow truck in front of you is not going to pull over to let you pass. They have the right-of-way.<BR><BR>The secondary roads are also likely to be subject to wrong turns, etc.<BR><BR>Rex, I'd just as soon leave your driving speeds (approx. 90 - 102 mph) to the expert Germans. I found my comfort range to be 120-130 km/h (approx. 75-80 mph) on the Autobahns.<BR><BR>Been there

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:37 AM
ttt

topping, for joan<BR>