The Ideal Honeymoon

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:16 AM
Annie

The Ideal Honeymoon

Hi there, Fodorites! I just got engaged this weekend to a wonderful man, and we are in "preliminary talks" about a honeymoon destination. I have gotten wonderful info from many of you on this site about various vacation destinations, but am interested in taking a sort of survey: ideally, where would you go for a week-to-ten-day honeymoon in Europe? We're likely to go next September, but our dates are not set in stone. We don't like roughing it, but are not on a luxury budget either. We are both romantics, but don't like cliches. The only places we've travelled together in Europe have been Ireland and the Netherlands (many times). Based upon all that, this question can be a challenge, as well! I can't wait to see what you all recommend....

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:31 AM
Julie

I'd opt for Venice--the most romantic city in the world, and just possibly the most beautiful as well. Then on to Lake Como and finally to Camogli/Positano area. September should get you beyond the crowds--mid-sept. would be best. You could fly into Milan, go on down to Camogli, then back up to Lake Country and fly home from Venice or vice versa. Alternately you could Fly in and out of Milan and just do the Italian lakes--very beautiful, very relaxing. If you decide on the latter, I have info from a similar trip I made that I'd be happy to share.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:32 AM
Nancy

Go somewhere where you can truly relax. I went to Paris on my honeymoon and although I like Paris it is a busy city and in retrospect I would like a slower pace. What about going to Austria or Switzerland? Or you could hit the South of France and/or Provence. Anyway whatever you decide have a safe trip and congratulations!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:35 AM
peter

In fact, that's almost exactly what we're doing on our honeymoon next month. After 3 days in NYC, we fly to Milan, grab our car and spend 10 days in the Italian Lakes District, mostly on Lake Como, with side trips to Switzerland. Italia Tours (owned by Alitalia Airlines) has excellent package deals right now.

By the way, I believe that the wedding scene in the latest Star Wars movie was filmed on one of the Italian lakes, Garda I think.

Good luck!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:38 AM
carol

I would suggest you go to a quiet place with beautiful views, but avoid the bigger centres. For example, if you go to a beachy area, don't stay in a big town, stay in a nearby small town.

I would recommend Ia, on Santorini. It is quiet and less touristy than Fira. You should rent a car to get there as well as to see the sights on the island.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:59 AM
Uncle Sam

Provence hands down!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:32 AM
dave

I can't imagine a more ideal honeymoon setting than Santorini. Of course I only ended up there after my wife shot down the Baseball Hall of Fame!!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 09:46 AM
kate

very funny~Dave!!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:07 PM
Mamma Mia

Greece, definitely!!!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:24 PM
xxx

Niagara Falls was good enough for my parents, so it should be good enough for you!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:02 PM
to the top

topping for annie

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Kelli

I "third" the vote for Santorini. We went there on our honeymoon and loved it!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:55 PM
Janda

My vote is for Venice..

Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Kieran

might be a silly question, but i have heard that the romance of venice can be overwhelmed by the stench of the canals. is that the report of a pessimist or a valid concern?

Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:12 PM
carol

I loved Venice and there was no stench whatsoever when I was there. However, I know other people who said there was, so that is why I did not recommend it. It is one of the most quiet European cities because the diesel engines of the boats are much quieter than the vespas everywhere else.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Capo

Hi Annie. I like Julie's suggestion: Venice, but also Lake Como and then perhaps somewhere on the Ligurian coast (or else maybe the Sorrento peninsula/Amalfi coast.)

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:23 AM
topping

to the top

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Melissa Bennett

If you are going for ten days - why not Italy and Santorini. Maybe an organized tour in Italy - then cruise through the Greek Isles and be lazy.

Jun 4th, 2002, 06:39 AM
blondine

Hi Annie,

Don't go to big cities or very touristic places but try a quiet nice place at the seaside watch the sun go down while you
were having your drinks..

I recommend Golf Resort in Belek Antalya/turkey..rent one of the private villages it is green with pools directly at the seaside..You can have your breakfast in your own garden ..
Don't forget to tell that you are in honeymoon therewill be always special things for you

CONGRATULATIONS

BLONDINE

Jun 4th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Annie

It sounds like a lot of people like Italy and Greece! Thank you for your helpful suggestions! Any other off-the-wall ideas? =)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO