Drive time: Stuttgart/Tubingen to Bodensee

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are staying in Tubingen for several days at the end of March. We will have a car, and we'd like to take a day trip to the Bodensee. We are looking at Uberlingen, Meersburg, Mainau and possibly Konstnz. Is this realistic? We've driven many times in Europe, and have learned the hard way that small distances often take a very long time. Any advice is much appreciated!
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jentrav,

here's the link to the web address for via michelin.

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk

you put in your starting point and destination, and a number of other variables, like whether or not you want to use motorways, the day and time you are travelling, any intervening destinations, and hey presto, it comes up with a route that takes 1hr 45 from Stuttgart to Konstanz.

if you could, an overnight would be better than a day trip in order to make the journey worthwhile. plus it'll be dark quite early at that time of year.

have a great trip

regards, ann
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Ann, thank you so much. This will be really helpful. We will also have the same question as regards a day trip to Strasburg in France, so we'll use the michelin link again. Unfortunately we cannot stay overnight as we have decided to make Tubingen our base for a visit with our son, who is studying there this semester.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:20 PM

It's about 4.5 hours, from Tubingen, and excluding any time waiting for the ferry from Meersburg to Mainau. If you spent 90 minutes in each of the 4 locations, that is a 10 hour day. before any meal time.

If you are considering dropping one of those 4 stops, my recommendation would be Uberlingen.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Aramis. I doubt if we will do all of these towns; I just wanted to get an idea of what we're in for. The Michelin site says it's under 2 hours from our hotel in Tubingen directly to Meersburg. Does that sound right to you? Thanks so much for your advice.
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM

You'll be driving on the Autobahn for most of the time. Unless there's a traffic jam, you can do it well below 2 hours.
And as your son will tell you, the towns names are Tuebingen and Ueberlingen
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, logos. I think I'm spelling Tuebingen the American (incorrect) way. My son will certainly be happy to correct my spelling and pronunciation whehn we're there!
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM

It should be something under 2 hours to Meersburg.

It will take you about 2 hours to get to Strasbourg skirting the Black Forest. If you go through it, 2 days. Just kidding. It should take another 30-45 minutes if you head due west through the Forest.

Tuebingen (for you logos - I would love to use the umlaut but sometimes it feels just too pretentious to type the e is a beautiful small city but it really is a little isolated for major day-tripping unless you want to get to Stuttgart, of course.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info on Strasbourg - it seems workable. I agree that Tuebingen is not the ideal base, but that's where our son is. We're hoping to combine some fun trips with family time...trying to stay flexible, see some sights and not spend hours and hours in the car!
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Tip: I use the viamichelin website for distance planning and usually add on about another 10-15% of time for my slower driving and pit stops.

This early in the season, you might want to be sure and check the weather before you head out. The days are getting longer, but the snow is still flying, unfortunately! Hopefully by the end of the month that will no longer be an issue
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM

It won't be an issue from this Saturday. 19C max YEAH! All the snow has melted today.