Search

Drive or bus/train Valencia to Seville?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28th, 2017, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive or bus/train Valencia to Seville?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions on whether to hire a car and drive, or take trains/buses from Valencia to Seville in late August. I would arrive in Valencia on Friday evening 18th August and then aim to arrive in Seville on Fri 25th or Sat 26th. To put this into context, it is one section of a longer trip. In order to reduce the cost of hiring a car in Spain and dropping it off in Lisbon, we figure to leave the car in Seville and then travel by bus thereafter to Lisbon (with a night or two in Algarve region on the way if time).

So at present I'm thinking something along these lines (dates refer to the nights of accommodation in each location):

Sat/Sun 19-20th: Valencia
Mon 21: ???
Tues -Wednes 22-23 : Granada
Thurs-Fri 24-25: Cordoba
Sat/Sun 26-27: Seville
Mon 28: ???? (Algarve region or another night in Seville?)
Tues 29th: ????
Wed/Thurs/Fri 30/31/1st: Lisbon
Sat, Sept 2nd fly to Barcelona. Here we have 5 nights and plan at least one day trip Girona/Costa Brava.

From my reading, 3 days at least is a must in Lisbon. We could reduce 5 nights in Barcelona to 4, but since we want to do a trip to Girona then 4 days is a bit tight.

So this itinerary begs a few questions....
1. Hire a car in Valencia and drop it off in Seville or take buses/trains? Car is my preference, but we would consider trains/buses if there are common problems like too much traffic.
2. Assuming we hire a car (which allows us to drive at our leisure and spend less time getting to/from station to accommodation), we have 3 nights unaccounted for if we devote 2 nights each to Valencia, Granada, Cordoba and Seville. It makes sense to stop in between Valencia and Granada since this journey is the longest. So a suggestion for Mon 21st would be good. eg: somewhere between or including Alicante -> Cartagena. Which part of the coast around here is most scenic ??
3. Lastly, 2 nights in Seville + 2 nights in Algarve OR 3 nights in Seville + 1 night in Algarve? Maybe one less night in Cordoba instead of 2?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 07:05 AM

There is limited rail service from Valencia to Sevilla-Santa Justa, so, depending on what you want to do and see alone the way, I'd drive. If there is nothing you want to see, then I'd drive, and drop the car off at the airport outside of Sevilla, taking a taxi in.

If you decide to drive, you can follow the A-7 to Murcia and stop by Cartagena, if you are a fan of Game of Thrones, and then to Almería before heading up to Granada.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 07:22 AM

By train
Valencia to Madrid 1:40 min
Madrid- Seville 2:30 min
but ,it might be clumsy
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Valencia (dp 8.12) - Cordoba is 3 hrs by train; 1 hr more up to Sevilla.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for the replies. Already I can see that train leads to difficulty thus, driving is the preferred option. With that in mind, what would be some of the recommended places be to stay for a night in Costa Blanca on route to Granada?

Given that much of the rest of our itinerary is medium or larger cities, then something smaller and less touristy would be welcomed.
Old Jan 28th, 2017, 01:43 PM

Look at Altea and Mojacar for nice stops on your way to Granada.
Old Jan 29th, 2017, 07:38 AM

Mojacar would probably be your best bet after a day of touring. You should be able to fing a decent deal at the Parador de Mójacar (www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-mojacar)