Driving from Gibraltar to Madrid

Oct 11th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Driving from Gibraltar to Madrid

I will be driving from Gibraltar to Madrid next month. I have 3 days to stop along the way. I am thinking of stopping in Sevilla and Cordoba. Is that a good plan? Should I go to Granada instead? The Alhambra is really piquing my curiosity... Any other suggestions? Should i drive the whole way or return the car and take the train at some point?

Oct 11th, 2005, 07:28 PM

I wouldn't want to drive the whole way--the train from Seville to Madrid is fast and would be my choice. You could do a daytrip to Cordoba, though it seems with only 3 days, including Granada would be pushing it a bit, but maybe with the time you save by taking the train, it might be manageable (it's certainly worth it if you can swing it).
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your feedback. Does it make sense to drive from Gibraltar to Granada, then from Granada to Sevilla and then take the AVE to Madrid (possibly with a stop in Cordoba)?
Is it possible to leave baggage at the train station?
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM

It would be very rushed to include all 3 cities plus the driving. You need to reserve ahead of time to get into the alhambra and yes it is beautiful.

With 3 days I would drive through the white villages to Seville. Drop the car there. Visit the alcazar in Seville to see the style of the alhambra. Take the train to Madrid with a stop off in Cordoba.
Oct 12th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Ian

I like driving.

You could drive Gibratar to Granada along the coast - allow 4 - 5 hrs (last 2 hrs - when you turn north - is the best part). Stay in Parador or close to Alhambra. One night. Then drive Granada to Sevilla - 4 hrs - easy freeway drive. Dump the car @ the airport (east side of town) & spend 2 nights in Sevilla & then train back to Madrid.

Ian
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

I think I will follow Ian's suggestion. I checked directions on Mapquest and it says the drive from Gibraltar to Granada should take 2 1/2 hours. Is that totally off?
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Ian

Ignor Internet estimated driving times.

I don't know the Gibraltar to Malaga stretch, but Malaga to Maro on the coast is fast multi-lane freeway. Then the road drops to 4 lanes with lights/traffic for the rest of the coast. Nice scenic road through several towns though.

When you turn north to Granada, the road cuts through mountains & is truly beautiful. Then about 1/2 to Granada, it turns back to freeway.

Nerja to Granada was about 2 hrs - maybe a bit more.

Granada to Sevilla is multi-lane freeway & fast & twisty but an easy drive. 120 km/hr. You'll like the oleanders.

Ian
Oct 14th, 2005, 07:17 AM

"I will be driving from Gibraltar to Madrid next month. I have 3 days to stop along the way. I am thinking of stopping in Sevilla and Cordoba. Is that a good plan? Should I go to Granada instead? The Alhambra is really piquing my curiosity... Any other suggestions? Should i drive the whole way or return the car and take the train at some point?"

As people have said, it is crazy to drive with when there is the high speed train from Seville to Cordoba to Madrid.

The Alhambra is the must-see site in spain and perhaps all of Europe. There is nothing like it anywhere else in Europe.

Generally speaking, your trip is backward. Madrid is boring and Gilbralter is little more than a rocky tourist trap. The best sites to see in Spain are in Seville, Cordoba and Grenada.