Reload this Page >

Drive from Rome to Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:38 AM
trisha

We are planning to drive to Florence from Rome in early September. We chose to drive just to see what everyone is talking about in Tuscany. Wish we could spend time there, but not this trip. We would like just a sample. Any suggestions for an itinerary?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 05:43 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Trisha, Take A-1 as far as Orvieto and spend 2 hours there. Then, cut inland and take S-2 north thru some of the nicest landscape in Tuscany. Stop at Bagno Vignoni, Montalcino, and the Abbey at Mt. Oliveto Maggiore, all south of Siena. After Siena you can take the super strada into Florence, or take S-222 thru the heart of Chianti.<BR>That will give you a good feel.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Alice Twain

I bsolutely disagree with the above post. If you want to see the real countrysinde, you absolutely must skip all Autostrada (the roads marked A-something) as well as the superstrada. Also Statali (roads marked S-something) might well be skipped. In Rome look for a good map of the area (Touring Club Italiano has a shop in Rome too, they have the best maps available) and travel along the smaller roads. If you have time enough, make it lst for a couple of days: you may find yourselg a place to sleep somewhere in between the two areas. In January i moved back from Siena to Pistoia along a copuple side roads across Colline metallifere and hear the coast od Pisa, and it was one of the most fascinating trips I have ever had.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 08:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

So, Alice, with one day to drive between the 2 cites, how would you do it?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:53 PM
Jim

trisha, <BR>BOB THE NAVIGATOR is absolutely right!!<BR>We did the same trip last month, except in the opposite direction.<BR>Bob, I really marvel at your patience!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Rex

Apropose of another post today...<BR><BR>The posts by Alice and by Jim read better if you skip their first sentence.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Jim

Rex<BR>I've never gotten in to your bashing, and I don,t know if this is your posting.<BR>If it is, my only comment is, get a life, futhermore, if it is, you have a real problem, as evidenced by all your negative responses. Sorry, Bob But I do not have patience with this pompus ass!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 02:51 PM
amend

I really coundn't have said it better!!!

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Rex basher

Now we all know about this pompus ass!!

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:53 PM
up

up<BR>