Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive from Cognac to Albi..route; great lunch stop??

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a Thursday in late May, two of us will be departing the town of Cognac in a rented car, probably before 10am. We will head for Albi on a drive that Via Michelin estimates as taking about 4 hours, about half of which follows the A62.

I would like opinions as to the best route to follow; we are not wedded to this route, nor are we in a rush.

Most important, I would like recommendations on where to break for lunch and names of likely restaurants. We pass the 2-hour mark somewhere around Agen if we follow the suggested route, but do not want to navigate through city streets, would prefer a country restaurant with wonderful food...will detour if necessary.

Many thanks!

Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Anyone?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In Puymirol, L'Aubergade
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

Cigale, I see that this is the 3-star Michel Trama. Can you tell me a bit about the place? I was thinking more of a really fabulous place with regional food but if this is not to be missed I will consider...

The Cadogan Dordogne.Lot guide calls it one of the highest rated restaurants in France! It seems to be just off the route I mentioned above.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

I have to say that the music on the website is among the strangest I have heard! Not what I was expecting!

http://www.aubergade.com/anglais/restaurant.html

This place may be a bit too formal and serious for a lunch stopover....wonder if there are any other convenient options along our proposed route...???
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, you are right, and it seems odd with the looks of the place and doesn't look like anything I remember from years ago. I'll try to find something.
Around Agen :
La Table de Coeur (Cassou)
La Rigalette (Vallon de Veronne)
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, ekscrunchy,

mmm.. difficult one. we always take pot luck - invariably my attempts to do this have ended in disaster - restaurant shut, changed hands, etc.etc.

my 2003 red michelin guide suggests that there's a very nice place at lacave, just north of rocamadour called the pont de louysse, with one star and 3 crossed knives and forks. the blurb says it's got a nice shady terrace next to the river. also a swimming pool.

i suspect it would be rather more relaxed that the aubergade - I rather distrust places like that that think you'll be so impressed by the web-site, you won't notice that they fail to mention the food! though for that sort of place, the menu de marche might be good - or it might not, given that it's their bargain basement.

Personally I would rather eat somewhere less prestigeous, and not have to choose the cheapest option!

why not look at the logis de france web-site, and see what smaller hotels there are along your route - they very often have nice restaurants.

good luck!

regards, ann
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:41 PM

But "just north of Rocamadour" isn't going to work if she's driving from Cognac to Albi.

We had an outstanding lunch at Le Roquentin in Laroque-Timbaut about 30 kms northeast of Agen a few years ago.The place looks like a provençal mas, but the cuisine is pure SW.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
st cirq - doesn't it depend which way you go?

the OP asked for suggestions, and said she's not wedded to any particular route.

no reason not to go east then south, rather than south then east.

just an idea! [wish I could work out how to do Ira's light-bulb].

regards, ann
Old May 3rd, 2007, 03:13 PM

Duh - of course! For some reason I read Cognac and thought Condom, which is down near Auch. Ooops!

Well, then, you might also consider La Bastide in Monpazier or Le Clos Gran, a sweet little auberge with a garden and pool about 5 kms north of Cahors.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

You are all so helpful! I guess the first thing I need t figure out is which route to take..the recommended one via Agen appears to be the most direct. The other option might be to drive east and hook up with the main Limoges-Toulouse highway, thus passing close to Lacave and Pont de l"Ouysse; am I dreaming here???.LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC!!

http://www.lepontdelouysse.fr/index_gb.htm

It appears that there are 3 good recommendations near Agen, in Cassou, in Vallon de Veronne, Laroque-Timbaut...

So many delicious choices...
Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Original Poster

..and one more, from St. Cirq:

http://www.clos-grand.com/

Old May 3rd, 2007, 04:46 PM

Thanks for knowing to put that D on the end. Got a brand new computer here, and the keyboard is REALLY different from my old one and seems to have a mind (or min) of its own.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:29 PM

Or...You could do what we frequently do sinc we are very spur of the momentish, sometimes taking longer or shorter in one place than planned...first pick which route you're taking based on points of interest/sights along the way.

Stop at any Logis de France affiliated hotel along the way -(or you can do a search at www.logis-de-france.fr) and get one of their guides with all their locations in alphabetical order.

Around 11:00 or 11:30 we start looking at the next couple of towns coming up and check out the Logis de France hotels with restaurants. We can generall locate them with our red Michelin guide's maps. We've never had a "bad" meal, just one "okay" meal and the rest have been very good to superb finds. Hint: the more "chimneys" the fancier the food/price, but that's listed with all the days open, annual closure and other info.

Oh- we have enjoyed La Bastide in Montpazier; the food was very nice and the owners were very accomodating. We'd go back again.
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Klondike, that is what we may do, despite my endless and obsessive planning. How far off the route would you estimate Monpazier to be?

I think they key is to decide which so the two general routes to take; I suspect I will get opinions also from our hosts in Cognac. It would be lovely to pass through pretty scenery in the Dordogne/Lot so that I could show my friend, who has never been there...
Old May 4th, 2007, 03:50 AM
ira

Hi ann,

> [wish I could work out how to do Ira's light-bulb].

Go to http://fodors.com/forums/smileys/

Old May 4th, 2007, 03:55 AM
ira

Hi ek,

At www.viamichelin.com try changing the route from "recommended" to "economical" or "discovery".

It will take up to 3 hr longer, but I think that you will enjoy either of the 2 routes more.

Old May 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Ira. Their "shortest" route (6 hours instead of 4) would take us close to: Brantome; Perigueux; Le Bugue; Buisson; Siorac....some of the territory that I passed through during my week in the Dordogne last October.

Their "discovery" route takes 7 hours and passes through, or close to, Bassac; Perigueux; Sarlat; Grolejac; Payrac; Vers; Caylus..and on to Albi...

Most important considerations:

Scenery
Food
Time
Ease of drive (should not be totally truck-laden highways..)
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM
ira

Hi ek,

I think that with the "discovery" rooute, if you leave Cognac at about 09:00 you will be in Sarlat about lunch time.

I've looked at their plan, and they do provide for some scenic travel.

It's a long day in the car, but I would rather do it that way than the A62, which we found to be just a long drive without much to remember.

Will you be visiting Peche Merle from Albi?
Old May 4th, 2007, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Ira: I strongly doubt if we will visit Peche Merle. I think we will be otherwise occupied in the more immediate area of Albi. Stu Dudley had some good suggestions that I will take another look at. We only have 2 full days in the Albi area (arriving late Thursday and flying out of Toulouse on Sunday morning). It has been many years since I have been in Albi so it will all be new to me..

Also, I do not want to eat in the town of Sarlat. I was looking for a fabulous country restaurant somewhere close to the route. Sarlat does not have the most outstanding dining scene, in my opinion, and I prefer not to drive right into the town.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -