Dress Code to Climb Duomo Stairs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there is a modest dress code to visit the interior of the Duomo in Florence. Entry to the stairs is from the exterior of the church. Does the dress code apply to the climb as well?
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 07:32 PM

As long as you are wearing no shorts and no sleevless tops, you will be ok.
Same applies to all religious sites.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM

or short skirts...
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 05:43 PM

I can;t imagine climbing all those stairs in a short skirt with any random stranger climbing the stairs right behind me.

Attire for all churches/associated buildings is the same in italy - no shorts, short skirts or bare tops (arms or bosom).
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I have seen this debate here before. We were in Italy in August. I agree with the short skirts. Skimpy tops were a nono in most churches. And we say hundreds of people wearing shorts.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 05:17 AM

I see long shorts (to the knee) in the Duomo in Florence and other churches all the time nowadays. And yes you don't actually enter the floor of the interior of the church during the climb - you do walk around the drum on the inside for a brief moment, but the rest of the climb is a stairwell and then the passageways between the two shells of the dome.
Old Nov 8th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I know of the modest dress code of no bare knees, no bare shoulders for the inside of churches. I just wondered if it applied to the climb as well.

We are usually slow travelers who enjoy staying in a place for at least a week. However, we'll be in Florence for just one day in late June while on a Med cruise to celebrate a friend's 40th birthday.

Since Florence is so compact we plan to spend the day walking and because we'll be there in late June DH will be most comfortable in shorts. Once we get to town we won't have a place to "go home" for a siesta or to change clothes or shoes.

I realize DH could wear zip off type pants in Florence but other than the Duomo climb we aren't going into any churches. If I carry a purse at all it's the size of a passport so I'm not carrying his pantlegs. Somehow I can't see him carrying his own pantlegs stuffed in his pockets all day. We can save the climb for another trip if necessary.