Dress Code for Sunday Church Services

Oct 9th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Kathy

Dress Code for Sunday Church Services

We are hoping to attend Sunday church services while in London. Is it acceptable for women to wear pant suits such as what one might wear professionally or is it more appropriate to wear a dress or skirt? The women of our church in the States wear pants but I know it is frowned upon by some denominations. Please advise and thank you in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Oct 9th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Jack

I just think its nice that you are wanting to go to church on vacation and so its better to go in vacation clothes than not at all i reckon. One sunday we were not expecting to be near a church but it so happened that we were. Nobody frowned on us in aur travel clothes, rather they were happy to have visitors.

Having said that, if it is easy to wear a dress or skirt then i would advise that (although i'm speaking from my wife's point of view and not mine on this one)

Oct 9th, 2002, 08:26 PM
uncle sam

Kathy,

You may also want to attend Evensong at Westminster Abbey. We went last trip and is was very memorable. Not my denomination, but they got the message accross through hymns, OT and NT readings and prayer...all in a place with great atmosphere.

It was a nice respite from a hectic day!

US

Oct 10th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Joker

At a fashionable church in London, a famous actress turned up for a service wearing a see-through dress. The vicar stopped her at the door and said, "You can't come in dressed like that." The actress, now fuming, shouted, "I have the divine right to come in!" Unmoved, the vicar replied, "You have divine left as well, but still can't come in."

Oct 10th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Kathy

Thanks to all who responded to my question regarding dress code for Sunday services. They were very helpful. We are so looking forward to this trip and attendance at church will be a wonderful way to finish our week in London. Thanks again to everyone.

Oct 10th, 2002, 06:19 AM
jpm

My nephew and I were in London last spring on Good Friday. We happened to be touring the Tower and met the (excuse me but I'm not sure the proper term) priest/pastor of the Church inside the Tower. I talked with him and he invited us back that night to the Good Friday service. I expressed concern about what to wear as we had only jeans to wear. He said not to let it worry us in the least and to come anyway!

So, if you have an opportunity to go, then GO! The people of the church you attend will realize you are tourist and will welcome the fact that you wanted to worship with them.

Oct 15th, 2002, 07:08 AM
Angel

I don't really think the big man cares what you wear I think he is just pleased to see you making the effort to go especially on your holiday. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in. There is nothing worse than being distracted from the service by worrying about what your wearing.