Reload this Page >

Dress at Opera in Milan

Search

Dress at Opera in Milan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:08 PM
Operabuff

Dress at Opera in Milan

We may have an extra night in Milan next year and are considering going to La Scala (as long as the opera is something my kids would like -- they like most Italian opera). In the States these days, one can get with nice casual clothes at the opera -- is the same true in Milan? Hate to need dress clothes only for the last night of a two-week trip.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:16 PM
z

No, go ahead, wear your sneakers (don't forget the white socks), baseball caps (turned backwards) and short to La Scala. Oh, don't bother to bathe for a week, and don't forget to talk during the performance. And of course it is courteous to share the contents of your six-packs with the neighbors.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Operabuff

Gee, thanks, Z. If I was indifferent to offending the others in attendance, I wouldn't have asked the question. If everyone gets dressed up, we'll either do so or skip the opera. But if clean but casual dress is perfectly acceptable, I'd like to know that. I truly appreciate your thoughtful, informative response. FYI, I typically dress up for the opera -- only asked because we will not (otherwise) have dress clothes with us.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 12:35 PM
operafan

The upper class Milan people, i.e. the ones being able to go to La Scala, because of the high prices, are among the most refined and elegantly dressed people on this whole world, believe me. Armani, Gucci, Valentino, Cerruti, etc. etc. Best fashion show, when they go out.<BR><BR>Try to book online (July)August most probably no performances).<BR>www.theatroallascala.org

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Howard

Do your realize that the La Scala is currently closed for extensive restoration/renovation? Thus, opera in Milan is being performed elsewhere until the job is done.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:42 PM
claire

LaScala is indeed closed for renovations. And, with the brouhaha over them, it may be closed far beyond 2004. (The museum probably is still open; check the website) BUT, the "interim" theater out in the 'burbs where the Company performs is apparently pretty easy to get to, though not as convenient if you are downtown. Tickets are a bit easier to get; there are more seats there. Unless you are at opening night (Dec) or a prima, very nice casual should do. Rule of thumb: the more expensive your seats, the less casually you dress. For women, a nice dark colored dress with a bit of jewelry or a scarf to spiff it up is nearly always fine.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:51 PM
janis

For every European city I always pack a dark knit skirt, matching cashmere cardigan and a silk shell (summer) or turtleneck (winter). With a scarf, pashmina or nice costume jewelry this outfit easily dresses up enough for almost any venue.<BR><BR>These pieces can just as easily be casual, and since they are separates they go with everything else I pack and extend my wardrobe without adding a lot of bulk.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Operabuff

Janis:<BR><BR>Sounds great, but my wife would kill me if I dressed like that!<BR><BR>I looked at the La Scala site not too long ago and saw nothing about the renovations, so thanks for that info. Maybe we'll skip it, as the "thrill" is as much seeing the house (in this case) as hearing the singing (I can get to S.F. opera any time).<BR>

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 02:08 PM
janis

OK - give that advice to your wife <BR><BR>For men, a dark pair of slacks - even casual ones - can look dressy enough with the right shirt. I usually advise male friends travelimg with me to take along a sports coat since it gives the appearence of "dressy" but can just as easily be worn with a t-shirt and jeans or dockers. If you don't want to take a jacket, and are going to a VERY dressy event, you can rent dress clothes in every major city.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Red

At La Scala it really depends on where you are sitting. We had tickets in the balcony, second row from the ceiling and it was hot up there and the seats were very tiny. (Bought the tickets from a scalper on the street the day before the sold-out show) All balcony people were ushered up the back stairs and didn't get to see the beautiful lobby where all the nicely dressed people were milling about. So if I had tickets downstairs, I'd dress up a bit - nice outfit, sport coat. In the balcony, anything goes because you are segregated from the rest of the theatre.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Check

Hey Red, don't you read the other postings? It's already been established that the La Scala building is closed and opera is being performed elsewhere!<BR>So, dummy, your contribution is useless!

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:19 AM
Alice Twain

Cech: the fact that the shows are currently held at Arcimboldi theater instead of at La Scala means next to nothing: the shows are the same and the rules are the same.<BR>As for the museum it is open but it has moved to another building, exactly it now is placed at Palazzo Busca, in Corso Magenta.