Dresden Hotels- INGO Need Your Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for hotel suggestions for Dresden. Near the main sights and transit- like old world charm but with modern bathroom.
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 04:07 AM

once you get a/some replies, you can look up more detail and prices at

http://www.hrs.com/web3/searchWeb100...#initialLoaded
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:37 AM

I really liked the Hotel Dorint which was modern, big rooms, very nice, even a good in-house restaurant, and right across the street from a tram stop. Just a bit off the main center, which was nice as it wasn't so noisy, in fact, kind of an open, quiet area. Not too far from the train station, actually. It did not have Old World charm, though, as it was newer.

http://hotel-dresden.dorint.com/en/
Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Yes a nice hotel; topping for more suggestions.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:02 AM

Public transportation in Dresden is sufficient; no worries about that. Would be helpful to know the price range, though.

A 3star hotel with old world charm and in a nice location in the New Town/Neustadt, 10 minutes to walk across the bridge to the main sights: www.hotel-martha-dresden.de

Upscale 4star hotel, an old patrician house, their sister 5star hotel new but in 'old' style, just around the corner:
http://www.buelow-residenz.de/dresden-hotel/

5star hotel in the old town: http://www.radissonblu.de/gewandhaushotel-dresden

Also recommended is the fancy Kempinski Grand Hotel Taschenberg Palais, right in the middle of all the sights, next to Zwinger, Royal Palace, Opera house ...
http://www.kempinski.com/en/dresden/...alais/welcome/

If you're looking for a B&B, then this is a very good choice:
http://www.pension-kaeubler.de/
(University district, several bus lines to the main station)
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks INGO- I will be using points and I have many options in that sense.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

INGO- at the moment I'm leaning towards Qf An Der Frauenkirche for 2 nights with breakfast costing me only 37,000 Avios points.

Not quite as charming as some of the other suggestions but you can't beat the location and the value is great for most efficient use of my points. (all my other points options- using Marriott, Hilton, SPG, Priority Club, AA , Delta require higher points)
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

INGO:
May I please trouble you for Dresden restaurant suggestions . Nothing fancy and or expensive - just good food and drink (beer and coke - the wife only drinks coke!)
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM

I do not know anyone who has ever stayed at the QF Hotel. The reviews are ok, consensus is that indeed the location is not to beat, but it deserves 4 instead of 5 stars. Still a good choice, I think.

There are dozens of restaurants in the surroundings of this hotel. For regional food try Freiberger Schankhaus, vis-a-vis in the Steigenberger Hotel, for Bavarian food Augustiner (walk past Frauenkirche's right side, last building to the right), or Paulaner's in the Taschenbergpalais Hotel. All of them are average priced, nothing fancy. Radeberger Spezialausschank is unfortunately closed due to flood damage - location right by the river, Brühl's Terrace.

A 10 minutes walk away are the two restaurants of microbrewery Watzke, one at Dr.-Külz-Ring/entrance to Altmarkt Galerie shopping mall, the other across the river right by the Golden Horseman statue. www.watzke.de Good local beer and food.

For good pizza and dessert try Piazza Nova, next to QF hotel in the same block.

I doubt you want to hop on a tram or so to go to the outskirts just for dinner, right? Let me know if you do.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Ingo:
Thanks for the tips, we will try them out and yes you are correct we don't want to ride trams to go to dinner.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A 3star hotel with old world charm and in a nice location in the New Town/Neustadt, 10 minutes to walk across the bridge to the main sights: www.hotel-martha-dresden.de>>

following Ingo's suggestion we stayed here on our sadly sole night in Dresden. Whilst it wasn't exactly central, it made a very good base for exploring the city as it's location made us walk from the Neustadt to the Altstadt so we got to see a lot of the centre. lovely rooms and excellent breakfast too.

i'm not suggesting that you necessarily stay there, but that Ingo knows what he's talking about!
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM

oops- rogue apostrophe disease strikes again. "its location" of course.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM

ingo---bill is a friend of ours---thanks for helping him...

are there any good Chinese restaurants as mrs bill loves Chinese food??

that hunting lodge restaurant you took us to was fabulous... would he ever be able to find it??

hi to C & J.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:08 PM

<i>BillT on Jul 3, 13 at 4:18pm
Ingo:
Thanks for the tips, we will try them out and yes you are correct we don't want to ride trams to go to dinner.</i>

Here is a ditto to Ingo's recommendation for the Paulaner Taschenbergpalais Kempinski Bistro. I had an excellent Sunday lunch of mini brats and hefe weissbier there.

Dresden's trams are the most modern in Europe. I was there in 1991 before the commie mess had been cleaned up. I was back about five years ago. What a change! If you don't want to take the tram I guess you can walk.

BTW, the best bathroom I have seen in decades of Europe travel and hundreds of hotels is the bathroom in my room at the Jugendherberge hostel behind the World Trade Center in Dresden. The breakfast was outstanding, equivalent to what you would find in a "three star" hotel in Germany. My room had three bunks but I was the only occupant. This hostel is a big place and the room was huge with plenty of space for all that luggage you are schlepping around.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 01:41 AM

are there any good Chinese restaurants as mrs bill loves Chinese food??>>

we found a very good Thai restaurant in the Neustadt; it was our last proper night in Germany and sadly, we'd had enough of wurst and schnitzel. [never thought I'd say that!] if you're interested I'll try to work out where it was. there can't be so many Thai restaurants in Dresden!
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 06:54 AM

annhig: Glad you enjoyed your stay at the Martha. Agree, it is not *most* central, but as you said it's not a long walk to the sights. The surroundings of this hotel are originally preserved from pre-war, I think that's a plus, too. Btw, their own restaurant "Kartoffelkeller" is pretty good also.

I can easily imagine you'd had enough Wurst and Schnitzel Thai food is very good for a change ... don't know about that restaurant in the Neustadt district, but there are several in this area; also a very good Indian restaurant (Scheune).

Bob: Hi there! Good to hear from you. Please say hi to Karen, best from C & J also. We hope all is well. Didn't know Bill is your friend, even more glad I can be of some help. That hunting lodge restaurant is unfortunately a bit too far in the outskirts, the tram ride there is over a half hour and at the moment until end of August (probably even longer) you even must change to a replacement bus due to road works - quite inconvenient. Otherwise this restaurant (Hubertusgarten) would be worth a recommendation, it's still there and the food is still good.

Chinese ... hm. My favourite is this one: http://www.mandarin-dresden.com/ Right behind the Radisson Gewandhaus Hotel, only a five minutes walk from the QF Hotel toward the town hall. It's in the Weisse Gasse restaurant/pub district, very popular with both locals and tourists with many more restaurants offering very different cuisine (Asian, Dutch, sushi, Italian, Irish Pub ...) www.weisse-gasse.de

The Mandarin restaurant has (like all the other restaurants in this area) a lunch special Monday through Friday that is less than 6 Euro (or so). Great value!

spaarne: The Paulaner is VERY popular with both locals and tourists. Lately it was hard to get a table in the evenings without reservation. LOL, you were lucky the other three beds were not occupied in the Youth Hostel!
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Ingo:
Thanks for the tips on Chinese food. Do they have the menu in English? While we will have the local food, by the time we get to Dresden (after 3 days in Prague) we will certainly be ready for some Chinese! I have been to their website but alas its not in English so its hard to figure out their menu.
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 09:31 AM

Bill - How are you planning to manage with menu reading in ordinary German restaurants?

the chinese menu is in more or less standard german - Hühnerfleisch/brust is chicken meat/breast, Ente is duck, Spargel is asparagus, Bamboo is ....etc. etc.

one thing to watch - IME "ethnic" food abroad is not the same as the same ethnic food at home. it is adapted to local tastes eg i could see on this menu a lot of "Curry Sosse" which we would not expect to see in a chinese restaurant in the UK. not better or worse, just different. it may not be what you and your DW are expecting!
Old Jul 4th, 2013, 09:32 AM

Bill, if I am not totally wrong their menu is in English, too. This "Weisse Gasse" district has a lot of tourists as guests as well, and I believe to remember that every restaurant where I had a meal in this area had English menus.

Did you see they have at least part of the menu on their website in Chinese? ("Chinesisch") ;-)

I am pretty sure that after three days in Prague with lots of hearty, rich Czech food and lots of beer you will definitely want some Chinese food!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -