Search

Dresden Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dresden Hotel

Anyone familiar with Motel One Dresden am Zwinger, Postplatz 5 Altstadt? I'm just starting my research for Dresden, so I would appreciate any info. It gets good reviews and looks to be in a good location. Could anyone confirm that? I like the price, and it has an elevator (which I want). I like to be in the thick of things, close to the main sites. Does this location fit that? Thanks!

Last edited by SusanP; Jan 10th, 2020 at 01:53 PM.
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 02:08 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Susan -

I've not stayed in the Dresden Motel One and can't speak to its location, but I have stayed at a Motel One in Munich.

The hotel was okay, new and fresh, but the rooms were really small. Good breakfast, nice bar.

This may not help, but since they're a chain, I assume they're similar.

Old Jan 10th, 2020, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I don't mind a small room. It's a queen-size bed, which means it's bigger than some I've stayed in!
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 11:58 PM

Location is very central, but it also means noisy if you have a room to the street (trams, cars.) There is also a construction site across the street (apartments) so that adds to the noise in the morning and during the day. Try to get a room to the northern side (Zwinger).
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo, I was hoping you'd see this post. Do you think there is someplace better that's still central around that price (just over 80E)? I could go a little higher if the choice is much better, but definitely not a over 100.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 11:32 AM

SusanP--My husband goes to Dresden often for work and always stays at the Gewandhaus which is a Marriott property. Overall the prices are a bit higher than what you want, but I did put in a random date for next month and they do have a queen room, prepaid, for 98 euro, so within your budget depending on your date of course. He loves the location, and since I am going with him very soon, he knew that was important and still said this would work perfectly for us, FWIW.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

mms, thanks, I'll check it out. However, this would be for September, so it might be more expensive then.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 11:54 AM

SusanP--Yes, probably, but worth a check at least! Look at booking.com as well. That is what I almost always use to book our European stays.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

OK, it's nearly 50 more per night, too much for my budget. 😊. Thanks anyway for the suggestion. I did look at booking.com. That's where I found Motel One!
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 12:42 PM

The Gewandhaus is in a different league. Highly recommended, but of course clearly more expensive. I checked rates for hotels in September and a couple of options came up that I can recommend:
- Innside by Melia - only 10 Euro per night more than the Motel One and by far nicer (no breakfast included, though)
- Ibis budget Dresden City - if you really want to save money. Quite spartan, odd colours in the rooms, but all you need.
- Aparthotel am Zwinger - about the same rates as Motel One, but smaller and more charming, only five minutes to walk or one tram stop away from Motel One.
Old Jan 11th, 2020, 01:08 PM

In another area but still close to sights (Frauenkirche) is the Aparthotel Münzgasse. Reasonable prices, plus nice extras like a washing machine. I stayed there about 10 years ago so can't vouch for what it is like today but check it out. If you are visiting the Frauenkirche the location is amazing.

https://www.aparthotels-frauenkirche...zgasse-en.html

Lavandula
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Lavandula, that one doesn't have an elevator, which I really want.

Ingo, the prices I found for Innside by Melia (through several sites, booking.com, their own website, etc) were 45-65 higher than Motel One. I really like the price for Isis ($235 for 4 nights, can be cancelled)! I realize it's a basic place but may go with it anyway. I like to keep the hotel cost down to allow for some nice dinners, not Micheline or anything that high, but good local food. Plus, it gives me some leeway if I have to go over 100 later in the trip. Thanks for the information.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 12:41 PM

A Swiss friend of mine stayed in the Ibis Budget and was totally satisfied with it. If you want to save some Euros then go for it.
Old Jan 12th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Good to hear, thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 04:19 AM

I stayed at the Ibis Budget about two years ago. The location is hard to beat, the price is a steal. Breakfast is somewhat limited but for 6 Euros, what can you expect. It is a faceless, no-frills plastic chain hotel but that was okay with me for a few nights. One point to consider: the rooms do not have separate bathrooms but the shower and washbasin are within the room behind just a glass pane. As a single traveller I did not mind, but for two people sharing the room this may feel awkward.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, quokka. I had read about the shower setup, but thanks for the heads up. I will be by myself, so it won't be an issue for me. I agree about the location and price--too good for me to pass up! (The breakfast is now 8.50. I decided to pass on that.)
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 02:30 PM

I'm not crazy about the Ibis Budget's location, but it's certainly convenient for getting around. As you head towards the Altmarkt gallery and the historic area you will find plenty of cafes, so smart to skip the hotel breakfast. You don't say when you will be traveling but if it's in the summer months and you encounter a heat wave, an Accor property would get my vote over Motel One. When Accor hotels say they have AC, they usually mean real AC, whereas all the Motel Ones I've stayed in have "climate systems" that don't really cool the room much. If you like to sleep in a cool room at night, it can be a problem.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Weissertee, good to know there are cafes close by. Actually, I did mention when I'm going. 😀 It's in September.
Old Jan 13th, 2020, 07:18 PM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express as part of a trip using trains. Certainly had elevators and good airconditioning.
It was very well priced and that's important to me as being Aussies we usually travel for extended periods.
I do like my comfort these days though.
I see they also have one in Zwinger although it looks to me a little less central
We found the Express fine with a nice walk through the market square to get to the attractions.
We also crossed the bridge and explored Bohemian quarter on Gorlitzer Strass and took a ride up the Elbe

Last edited by hugo64; Jan 13th, 2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jan 14th, 2020, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

hugo, thank you for the additional information.