Dresden and Albertinum

Apr 29th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Dresden and Albertinum

Does anyone know when the restoration will be complete? Also, is the restoration of the Royal Palace totally done?
Apr 30th, 2006, 01:54 AM

The Albertinum will reopen in 2009.

The restoration of the Royal Palace is not nearly done - at the moment they rebuild the Eastern wing. You can visit so far: Tower (Hausmannsturm) with excellent views, the New Green Vault (modern style presentation of the treasures), cabinet of prints and drawings (ditto).

The Historical Green Vault is going to reopen 15 Sept 2006. It is originally restored like back in the early 18th century. Make reservations in advance, since the number of visitors is very limited (www.dresden.de)

I don't expect the interior to be totally restored earlier than 2010.

Ingo
Apr 30th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks; so none of the artwork in the Albertinum, like the impressionist stuff, is available to view? Rats, scratch another place of my list.
May 1st, 2006, 12:55 AM

It depends on when you'll be in Dresden. There will be a fantastic exhibit in the neighbouring Exhibition building on Brühl's Terrace from 16 Sept 2006 to 14 Jan 2007:
http://www.skd-dresden.de/en/ausstel..._Mondrian.html

Ingo
May 1st, 2006, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, that sounds like a great exhibit. This is a tough call for me. I'd really like to get to Dresden at some point this year or next year, but I can't help thinking I should wait until everything is completed on the renovation end. But then maybe I'm missing something about Dresden's history if I wait until it's new.
May 2nd, 2006, 01:32 AM

Of course you are right that visiting later, when the reconstructions are done, would make much sense - you could see everything at once then.

On the other hand, there is already so much to do and see that you would rarely be able to include it all in just a few days. In addition, it is truly interesting to see the city "incomplete", in the process of rebuilding. In 5 years or so you would not believe how it looked earlier.

So, my recommendation is to do a day trip from either Berlin or Prague (according to your plans which I read on the other thread) just to get an impression and maybe see one or two museums and stroll a bit. From Prague it is 2.5 hours by train and only 25 Euro round trip, from Berlin 2 hours and a bit more expensive.
Nov 5th, 2011, 06:08 PM

What is interesting to me is according the Georgentor Road Charter that entitled the 1985 commencement of the Residenzschloss renovations affords no legal protection to all but the rightful owners, in accordance with Armistice Terms and Conditions of Capitulation 1918. The present occupiers have no legal protection should the descendants of "Father Georg" demand eviction, and this may be tested shortly
Nov 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM

WHAT? You opened a 5 year old post WHY? and registered to do it.
Nov 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM

It's like a contagious plague. So many old threads popping up - it's either one birdbrain person who thinks this is funny or a mindless group - like that bunch that stole Halloween candy from some kids.

Go figure.
Dec 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM

If I opened a 5yr old post then I may have found what I am looking for, a copy of the Georgentor Road Charter, which I have not seen for 35yrs, but let me explain.

If I ever had heroes as a younster Father Georg is most definitely one of them, having obviously not kept up with the play, I may be repeating what is common to yourself, here goes...

It has in the past been alleged that Father Georg was assassinated by the Gestapo, his being crippled during WWI makes it impossible for him to suicide as claimed. My far past studies took me to a Father Georg whom housed Jews when necessary on Residenzschloss during WWII, he did this in conjunction with Kaethe Kollwitz the artist, she subsequently died a natural death on his brother Ernest Heinrich's property, Moritzburg Estate. They were literally shipping Jews out of Dresden by the boatload to safe havens. My books of reference are obviously long gone and an old friend walked back into my life some years ago, automatically triggering residual memories, as the study I was compiling 35yrs ago at age 12 was for her, times have changed and libraries are not what they were. Father Georg and his brother Friedrich Christian Ernest were presented briefcases by their mother at age five, on Father Georg's was his name inscribed with gold dust, F A G Von Sachsen,there is a photograph where his name can clearly be seen on a briefcase under FieldMarshall Ernest Rommel's arm, this as the FieldMarshall enters a meeting with Adolph Hitler at Residenzschloss with intent to assassinate, an earlier photograph has the FieldMarshall minus the briefcase as he entered the building, and another shows the briefcase under a small table by french doors in a room immediately prior the meeting room.

Suffice to say without references "who cares". My next reference is the memoirs of Oberstgenerale Wilhelm Adam 1877-1949 whom appears in the group photo at the above meeting. In his memoirs he relates visiting the son of Father Georg in England in 1948.

My friend is Father Georg's great-grand-daughter and doesn't know it.
Dec 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM

did i miss something?

Robert - would you mind posting again in english?
Dec 30th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Father Georg (Friedrich Augustus Georg von Sachsen), the Crown Prince of Saxony, Holder of the Iron Cross 1st class, owner of Residenzschloss, was both smuggling Jews through Dresden, and, crucial to Rommel's assassination attempt on Adolph Hitler by smuggling the bomb in a week earlier. That was why he was assassinated.

CarolJean above posted there is a 5 yr old post, how do I find it.
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM

You are posting on it. Look at the date of the original post.
Dec 30th, 2011, 10:50 PM

In his memoirs he relates visiting the son of Father Georg in England in 1948

A priest's son?
Dec 31st, 2011, 01:26 AM

He renounced rights to the throne and became a Jesuit priest in 1923, when discovering his sons mother died in Nuremburg that year of TB at 25yrs old, their son was 13yrs old and born out of wedlock. When the Prinz tracked his son to his English school in 1923 the son had disappeared penniless.

As I said he was a hero to me, and his real story will never be told whilst the Georgentor Road Charter still exists.

Due the nature of earning his Iron Cross from Kaiser Wilhelm on secret missions in WWI, and with Nazism pervading he did not have the full support of the military, Rommel swallowed poison, but Oberstgenerale Wilhelm Adam was loved by the troops of the Wermacht, not even Hitler was prepared to handle a Wermacht mutiny by assassinating the Oberstgeneral, whom Hitler retired immediately in 1943, the same year Father Georg died.
Dec 31st, 2011, 06:59 AM

I may regret asking, but what, Robert, has this got to do with the original thread?
Dec 31st, 2011, 09:41 AM

He's got a bee in is bonnet about Father Georg and Rommel (the good soldier), in addition to some issues with confiscated property under the East German régime. That's how I see it, and it's all very melodramatic, with a son disappearing penniless (if he disappeared, how does he know that he remained penniless?) and some mysterious document of nefarious aims.

The Wikipedia entry on Father Georg makes none of his claims, and states that there is no indication that he was involved in any plot--he died a year before the July 1944 assassination attempt, drowning because of a heart attack while swimming in a lake.
Dec 31st, 2011, 10:39 AM

thank you michael.

a funny place to come to vent about it, but I suppose that obsession takes many forms.
Dec 31st, 2011, 11:21 AM

He has also tried on TripAdvisor.
Jan 4th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Vent...tsk, tsk...

I think Dresden will become an attractioin on the world stage in the near future, just forewarning u folks that some things in ur industry may change, so openings may appear.
Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO