Dreamy Paris....

Search

Dreamy Paris....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dreamy Paris....

Paris was enchanting! I arrived in Paris at the end of July - solo. Twenty five years earlier, I dined on baguette and cheese and drank wine from a plastic cup. This time I would sit in a cafe and watch the people go by. Fortunately I was able to return to Paris older and wiser...and much more sedate.

I had so much help from the Fodorites here that i wanted to come back and share some of the things I learned. Most of what I can impart comes from traveling solo. So I will start from that point.

In researching for this trip I was very concerned to be traveling completely alone. In the last few years I have taken 3 other trips: Italy with a group tour and twice to the UK where I met up along the way with family and friends. I needed to know that I would be able to walk after dark and feel as safe as possible. So my first point for those women out there who want to travel to Paris and do so, solo...no need to worry. I felt comfortable almost all the time (more about that later). It is such an amazing city for a solo traveler. From the cafes to the transportation, I never felt my trip was compromised because I was traveling alone.

Before I go on I would like to thank all those who contributed to my plans. I don't want to miss anyone so I hope those who I corresponded with, see this trip report. I often reflected how using these forums and then going on the trip is much like reading a book a friend has recommended. You read it on their recommendation but the experience might be completely different. It is the sharing that is so important and pivotal to the experience. More tomorrow.....
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM

Topping to follow this interesting and well written start.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:43 AM

Agreed Nukesafe. This solo visitor to Paris looks forward to the report.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:39 AM

Please don't stop here!
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:00 AM

Hi Kelsey22,

I was so happy to see your trip report today. I really appreciated your interest in my account of going solo in Paris two months ago. So glad that you had a positive experience.

Agree with your observation:

“I often reflected how using these forums and then going on the trip is much like reading a book a friend has recommended. You read it on their recommendation but the experience might be completely different.”

Well said – looking forward to more…
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:09 AM

Another looking forward to more, as just this morning started a thread asking if folks feel Paris is still the city of charm and romance (meant in the broadest definition of the word) that it's known for.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:10 AM

Waiting.....
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 05:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Dreamy Paris.......the title is perfect. Reading these posts keeps the feeling alive.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your kind words.

As I was flying in very early in the morning (7ish on a Sunday morning) I booked a shuttle service. I guess I was tired because I just couldn't figure out where I should meet it. I had the voucher with instructions so there was really no excuse for my confusion. I arrived at Terminal 3 and after a bit of wandering around, I met the service and was whisked off to the hotel. I was the problem not the service so I can say with certainty that they were reliable and cost effective. I thought I must have looked quite silly wandering around with voucher in hand - back and forth...luckily, I found the scene quite amusing.

Fast forward to check-in...a delightful hotel on rue Dauphin. Location was foremost for me traveling alone. I spent hours and hours looking for the perfect location. I will add that I had very specific criteria for the hotel location. I love to walk and so I felt that if I could be within walking distance of at least some of the sights, I could make use of all the daylight hours. I learnt from previous trips that if I am near some cafes and restaurants, I tend to make better use of my time. There is much to be said for paying a bit more for that freedom.

The hotel was clean and the room quaint (read small and cosy). I highly recommend the hotel on location alone. A few steps to the Pont Neuf and in the other direction, cafes, bars and Jardin Luxenbourg.

My plan was to drop my bag off and head up the street for a coffee. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my room would be ready in an hour.
Tip #1: Correspond with the hotel a couple of days before arriving.

I then walked up to Jardin Luxenbourg thinking about how I should pay attention to my surroundings, watch my purse and keep an eye out for this and that. I see now that I had read just too much! I had worked myself up and was hyperviligant as I walked toward the Jardin. Overtired and jet-lagged, I sank into a chair - glad to have made it to Paris in one piece and now to be sitting in such a splendid spot - and fell asleep. Yes, I fell asleep...purse in my lap. I awoke with a start. Well...Paris must be safe...and all my fears fell away. All my trepidation melted away. Paris, in all its hustle and bustle, provides these sweet moments when all is right in the world. At least, that is how I felt that moment when I opened my eyes on that sunny Sunday.
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM

Kelsey22, I, too, travel solo much of the time and can't wait to read more of your day to day Paris sojourn. It's got me dreaming about my next trip and I've already been twice this past year! I totally agree that hotel location is of paramount importance as a solo in order to have the freedom to come and go at any time of day or night without worry. Would you mind sharing where you stayed?
Travelchat
Old Sep 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM

I feel like I just ended a chapter in a book and want to keep reading...I can't wait for more!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

@travelchat - thank you. I don't mind at all. I had a wonderful stay and would recommend this hotel. It is called Hotel Dauphine St Germain. I am not sure if posting link is allowed but it is easily googled. I stayed on a higher floor in the back.

@Stellar424 - That was so nice of you to say!

@latedaytraveler - I am glad you posted. It was quite the coincidence we had stayed in the same hotel especially as we share so many of the same interests.

I hope to post more later on today. So much to say and I don't want to bore.
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Reading about Paris boring? Never. Every experience lets us in on a different point of view. Post on!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:07 AM

More please!
Old Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM

Ditto. More please. There are many of us on this forum for whom a Paris Trip Report will NEVER be a bore.

I look forward to more of your observations.
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

I am writing on the eve of my return to work after being off for over a month. I feel the pull of the city tonight perhaps more than ever. I have traveled to some very lovely cities. Rome was like a living museum. I was actually brought to tears on several occasions. Venice was a pearl and it is still on my bucket list as I didn't have enough time there. There was Florence, London, Copenhagen, Jerusalem, Athens, and the smaller cities and towns. So what was it about Paris that makes me yearn to go back? Perhaps someone can help here...

One of the favorite parts was the walkability of the city. I wish I had taken a pedometer, if nothing more than to impress my teenagers! Take good shoes and more than one pair. I would often change shoes two or three times a day. Cobblestones might be charming but they are awful on the feet.

Tip #2 - Bring all kinds of bandaids, moleskins and do visit a pharmacy to get the best blister packs I have ever used.

The first few days I would walk along the Seine every morning to welcome the day with the sight of Notre Dame. It really doesn't matter if you are surrounded by hundreds of tourists.

On my first few days, I walked (of course)over to Shakespeare and Co. and purchased the book. "The Most Beautiful Walk in the World" by John Baxter. I highly recommend it for a trip to Paris.

I remember studying the history of the flaneur back in university. I finally understood how a stroll could be so enjoyable. If you have ever walked in Paris, I am sure you understand completely. Is there anything more enjoyable than walking, no, strolling on a magnificent day, taking in the sights, surrounded by history every step of the way?

I spent two of my days in Paris just walking aimlessly. getting lost, taking photos and stopping for a chocolate or a coffee when I got tired. And where else can you be sipping a glass of wine on a patio with a Jack Russell eyeing your bread basket?

Ahhh Paris - thank you for these memories.....
Old Sep 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
MY solo trips were the best.
Paris is a poem pressed into a city.
This is attributed to more than one person.
But, it's true.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Two weeks until I am strolling the streets of Paris...your descriptions are adding to my excitement!
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Love your report.I just finalized my plans for my annual 6 week solo trip to France and Italy May-June 2013.

I use mileage so I must plan early to get the flights that I want.

I will be in dreamy fabulous Paris for 17 days and even though this is about my 20th or more trip to Paris, I am looking forward to any hints or suggestions you may have.

I always wear a pedometer and usually shocked at night at the amount I have walked.

I have been very fortunate to celebrate my last 5 birthdays in Paris and next year I will celerate my 83rd birthday in Paris. Even traveling alone it is a magical place to celebrate.
Old Sep 5th, 2012, 06:59 PM

I've been trying to work up the nerve to do a solo trip to Paris. This report and all of these comments are giving me a little shove in that direction. I was thinking how lucky everyone is to be so young and able to do this, and then I read tdk's comment. I'm truly inspired!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -