Reload this Page >

Dracula tours/sights in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2000, 04:22 PM
Bram S.

Is there really a Carfax Abbey in London. I'm aware that my inspiration for Dracula was in Whitby, however, is there anything of interest for me in Londontown relative to tours, sights, etc.?

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Ben Haines

<BR> <BR>I'm afraid there's no Carfax Abbey in London. There are ghost walks and Jack the Ripper walks on many evenings: the events magazinews Time Out and What's On list them. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 25th, 2000, 09:46 AM
Art

Which Dracula are you referring to. The only one I know of was a real person from Transalvania which is currently part of Rumania. His real name was Vlad Dracula, know as Vlad the impalor(sp)

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 12:15 PM
scdixon

Something you might find REALLY interesting is a place called Highgate Cemetery, an outrageously bizarre Victorian burial ground where Bram Stoker loved to stroll. It is widely reported that while there one day he sat down to have his lunch on the cover of a crypt which had a large crack running through it. He noticed a pale beam of sunlight shining down inside and imagined it rousing the inhabitant, using a bit of poetic licence, he must have juxtaposed the sunlight for a moon beam and the rest, as is said, is history. <BR> <BR>You should find Highgate listed in the London phone book or look under "Friends of Highgate." There are two sections, the east side and the west. The west is the oldest and weirdest and you cannot enter without a guide in a small tour group. CALL AHEAD, during off season months tours are only available on the weekend. <BR> <BR>The place is HUGE, there are between a quarter and half a million people buried here and it was one of, if not the first successful "memorial" park in the world. The vegitation of England's rain forrest is trying desperatly to reclaim the spot, creepers and vines entwined around more monuments that you could read in a year! There are now more butterfly's here than anyplace in England except Kew Garden. <BR> <BR>I've taken several friends there and they later claim it was THE highlight of their trip, or at least in the top three. I hesitate to broadcast this info as this is one of the very best kept secrets in London. <BR> <BR>If you take the Underground DO NOT take the Highgate stop, instead go to Archway, exit the station, turn left and head up a very steep hill to Waterlow Park. Ask directions if you need to. It is about a 20 minute walk. <BR>There is also a cover charge but you won't begrudge it as it helps maintain the place. All the guides are donating their time gratis. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you get there, and have a ball. <BR> <BR>(Oh yeah, most of the locations described in Dracula's adventures in London, except for those of very general areas, are fictional. For instance, Dr. Seward's Sanitarium was probably patterned from Bedlam, south of the River. That is now the sight of the Imperial War Museum. If I can help, email me. [email protected] <BR> <BR>(By the by, I'm sure you know the previous letter's reference should have listed the historic Dracula as Vlad Teppish. His father was "Dracul", "the Dragon", Vlad was dubbed "Dracula, Son of the Dragon". He was feared by his enemies and respected and loved by his countrymen, being a bit of a folk hero in his own land, you know.

Old Dec 26th, 2000, 03:38 PM
curious

Why would I go to London looking for Dracula-related sights? <BR> <BR>This one had one too many....

Old Dec 27th, 2000, 09:50 AM
Bram S.

Thanks to Ben and SC! FYI, I'll be in London and am a history buff so I'm seeking things to fill my time while there. I'm not going just because I'm a dracula groupie or anything. I saw Dracula 2000 last week and was reminded of the London link re: Dracula-just fishin' is all. Thanks for the education Art-I am quite familiar with Vlad the Impaler and his history though...

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Buzz

Dear "Curious..." <BR>"Why would I go to London to look for Dracula..." <BR> <BR>Gosh, you too? <BR> <BR>Actually, Bram didn't say he was going to London to look for Dracula related sites, but if he did I'm at a loss to understand why it would concern you if you had nothing constructive to add, hmmmm? A bit cranky from the holidays, are we?