Reload this Page >

Dover hotels/sightseeing

Search

Dover hotels/sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:22 PM
joann

Dover hotels/sightseeing

Going on a Renaissance cruise leaving from Dover and wondering if there are any hotels near the port or any sights close by to spend a few hours before embarkation. Any help/info will be greatly appreciated.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Karen

There are loads of hotels and B&Bs...you can go into the tourist bureau and ask for accomodations to suit your needs...about the only thing to do in Dover is to see the castle, otherwise you might consider staying a little further away, but still very close to Dover.

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 08:49 PM
maureen

We stayed at Woodville Hall in Temple Ewell less than 10 min from the port in Dover. It was pure heaven. Roger & his wife Sue (excellent gourmet cook) drove us to the ferry and picked us up when we returned from France. The rooms (3 suites only) are huge and the nicest I've ever seen. You won't be disappointed. While there we also went to Canterbury cathedral - awesome!!! Enjoy your trip.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:13 PM
Linda

If your parents/grandparents were on the side of the Allies during WWII, you might consider visiting Dover Castle. It was used during the war and has been preserved as a museum. Quite do-able during a couple of hours and worth it IMHO.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:48 PM
vicki

We recently sailed from Dover to Calais but we arrived at 10 p.m. and our boat left at 7:30 a.m. so we didn't do any sight seeing. We stayed at a Travel Inn right off the main motorway leading to the port. It was only GB40.95 per room and really nice. Travel Inns are really similar to motel chains in the states though and not quaint like a B&B. I picked up a book that showed their locations all over the UK with really good directions and prices so when we needed somewhere to sleep and shower and didn't have time to waste they were really great. I didn't check but I bet they have a website. good luck.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Christy

Hi Vicki - we're in sort of the same situation you are...we arrive in Dover (off the ferry) around 11 p.m. and our bus back to London leaves at 8 a.m. the next morning. We're looking for somewhere cheap and easy to stay because it'll only be for a few hours. You would recommend the Travel Inn? Thanks!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Vicki

Christy: <BR>Like I said it isn't "quaint" like a B&B. In fact it is very much like any American hotel room. It was clean and comfortable, nice bathroom with a real shower. We stayed at 3 different Travel Inns and they were all exactly the same but when I am traveling late and tired it's nice to know what to expect. The price was always the same too at 40.95 GBP. I really would recommend it for your situation. If you are going to be traveling in peak season or on the weekend though I would try to make a reservation ahead. If you need more specific info can get you an address or phone number. Just post a follow up and I will look it up for you. Good luck and have a great trip!

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 03:56 PM
joann

Thanks to everyone for all of the input. I did find a good website that was helpful - www.stayindover.com - and also found a transport company which will pick us up at Gatwick for less than half the price of what was quoted to me by a London company. Pays to shop around!

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:51 AM
Christy

Thanks Vicki, and everyone else who replied! We did check into the Travel Inn but they only allow 2 people per room and with 5 in our party, we would need 3 rooms, which becomes a little costly. Otherwise, it would be very convenient! We've found a guesthouse that has a family room that we can all stay in for a total of 48 pounds, which is great! It's called Maison Dieu and it looks quite nice. Perfect for us, since we arrive late and leave early, so we don't want to spend too much money. The people seem very nice. The website is http://www.brguest.co.uk/ <BR>Thanks again everyone! <BR>