Dorgogne or Provence areas??

Jan 16th, 1999, 08:39 PM
Denise

Dorgogne or Provence areas??

Got the travel bug again. I am trying to put together an outline of a trip for next year. I am interested in the Dordogne area of France. Can anyone tell me whether Dordogne or Provence is best for first trip to France. We would rent a place to stay for a week and hire a car. Also can anyone give me some ideas on the Alps areas of France i.e. the Italian Border, the Swiss or the German Borders? I would spend another week probably in one of these spots. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Does anyone know any web sites for these? Thanks Denise

Jan 17th, 1999, 12:08 AM
greg

Hi Denise,
Either of Dordogne or provence would be good for a week - so would the Loire, or Burgundy/Alsace.

Jan 17th, 1999, 12:12 AM
greg

Hi Denise, either of the Dordogne or provence would be good for a week - so would the Loire valley and Burgundy & Alsace.
We have a house in the Vaucluse region of Provence and i would be happy to give you details if you like - send me an email at [email protected]
The "beyond the french riviera site is good for provence - http://www.beyond.fr
Sarlat is a good base for the Dordogne.
The Loire has an advantage in that it is closer to Paris.
In both cases 1 week is nowhere enough but no-one ever has enough time.

Jan 25th, 1999, 12:18 AM
Denise

Bringing this to the top again. Any clues of villas to stay and places to see. Thank you all Denise

Jan 25th, 1999, 11:30 PM
Jan

Hi Denise,Check out the Chez Nous web site for villas to rent, they are a UK company and all the places in their brochure are privately owned and most can be booked direct with their owners ( most of whom are english). The address is www.cheznous.com I have used the company a couple of times and been pleased with the properties. As for places to see get a copy of the Michelin green guide for either area, they are very good and even give you ideas for tours as well as the unmissable sites.

Jan 26th, 1999, 06:19 AM
anne

We spent a week in Provence this Christmas holiday, choosing to do so then because we wanted to avoid the summer crowds. Last summer we spent a week in the Dordogne and loved it - I think it's our favorite area of France. I have all my travel info at home, and would be happy to share where we stayed and what we did both weeks.
As for a first trip, we spent a couple of weeks in Paris, with trips of 2-4 days each to the Loire valley and Normandy. Paris itself could keep you busy and fascinated for weeks! It was actually our second trip there, but the first of any length.
Each area has it's own charm - there have been no disappointments!
If you'd like more specific information, e-mail me and I'll be glad to pass it on (it's been extremely difficult for me to get on this Forum when I'm home - guess it gets busier later in the day, so e-mail is better than here).

Jan 26th, 1999, 11:42 AM
John

Hi, Denise:
My wife and I spent several days this autumn in each of the Alsace, Haut Savoy (Alps) and Dordogne areas (previously all around Provence and SW coast too) and recommend them all heartily. We like the Dordogne an awful lot, agree that Sarlat is a good if somewhat touristy base, and can't wait to get back. If the Alpine region of France is on your list, do not miss a chance to visit Annecy, near Geneva, which is simply marvelous. As well as house letting or staying in a Gite, you might check out a good French hotel web site at http://www.chatotel.com/english/ for accommodations in many areas. As far as eating goes, your choice of regions pretty well hits the high points, IMHO. Bon voyage!