Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Know any cheap but clean hostels in Paris or London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 1999, 09:20 PM
harlequin

I'm going on my first trip to Europe with a friend this summer and we need to find out about hostels and how much they are. We don't mind staying in a dorm style place. We've looked a little on the web but haven't found much yet. <BR> <BR>We'd like to spend max $10 - $20 per night, each. In both cities we'd like to stay in the most central area as possible but we're on a budget so the price counts. Can anyone help? <BR> <BR>Any other information for first-time travellers would also be helpful. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 08:28 PM
tina

I am staying at the Hotel Esmeralda in the Latin Quarter in Paris this March. You can find it in Frommers guidebook and website if it isn't listed here. My single is 160FF (less than 30USD) It is described as a "simple" hotel. If you are interested in notes from my trip when i return send me an email note.

Old Jan 24th, 1999, 06:30 AM
Anna

You might want to go to eurotrip.com and check out the hostel forum there.

Old Jan 25th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Annalynn

Several years ago, I stayed at the Holland Park youth hostel in London. It was nice and clean and right on the park, in a semi residential neighborhood. I'm not sure if they are still a hostl or not, but I found them through "Let's Go."

Old Jan 26th, 1999, 11:56 AM
Caryn

Two places I've stayed in Paris: <BR> <BR>1) Young & Happy Hostel. Tel. 01 45 35 09 53 Fax 01 47 07 22 24. Double 117 F, Quad 97 F. Rooms are a little small but cheerful because the place has been redone. There's a bar downstairs. Bathrooms are ok. You must rent sheets but beware: there are no pillows. The best thing about this place is its location right on rue Mouffetard, a market street with restaurants and bars galore in the heart of the Latin Quarter. The Metro is Monge. <BR> <BR>2) Paris Quartier Latin-44 rue des Bernadins tel 01 43 29 34 80, fax 01 53 00 90 91. Metro: Maubert-Mutualite Same price as Young & Happy. Much quieter. Large, bright communal area downstairs. Shower and sink in room. Very close to St. Germain section of the Latin Quarter. Both are good bets. Y&H is noiser and more cramped but better location. Also, the toilet area was nicer/cleaner at 44 rue des Bernadins but I was all the way up on the 6th floor. <BR> <BR>Get a Let's Go Europe book, try www.counciltravel.com, and www.iyhf.com for a complete list of hostels. Email me for more info. <BR>