Dordogne or Provence late September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

starting to question whether we should go to Dordogne versus Provence, 7 nights late september early october. Is weather an issue? I believe Provence should be mild but not sure about Dordogne (Sarlat and surrounding area) Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:18 PM

It will be plenty warm enough to swim in the Dordogne until the end of September if it's a normal season - if that gives you some idea. September is one of the warmest months of the year in the Dordogne.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

thanks for info stcirq. It changes things. We don't have concrete planc. I realize from reading this forum that you're famiiar with many parts of France. This is our 2nd trip having only been to Paris which was great despite fact that it was February and sleeting! As a second visit to France, would you advise Provence or Dordogne? Not sure if you've been to these places butI fell in love with Italy last year - Assisi, Pienza, Montalcino, Cortona, Rome, Siena and on but my travelling companions insist we go somewhere new. I'd be so happy if the new experience provided lots of history, walking samll towns, talking with shopkeepers and yes, checking out the local purchases. Thanks.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 05:50 PM

lily: It would be hard for me not to recommend the Dordogne over Provence, as that's where I chose to make a second home after traversing France for more than 20 years, but I will accede that Provence has tremendous charm and an incredible number of wonderful sights to see.<BR>It kind of depends on the geography you prefer.I've been to all the places in Italy you describe, but neither Provence nor the Dordogne is an exact replica, of course - it's a different country. Provence is geographically stark and definite, with olive groves and rubbly plains under the white-capped Alpilles - dusty in summer, windy, a bit bare, but a beautiful bare. The Dordogne is lush - deep gorges and river valleys running through hilly, forested terrain.<BR>In both places you can connect with vendors at local markets, shopkeepers, small towns, beautiful vistas. It really does come down to what your scenic preferences are. Me, I prefer the lush valleys and rolling hills and tiny towns with amber-colored houses with geraniums spilling over the flower pots. Others will prefer the sandblasted mas of Provence with pale blue shutters and lavendar and olive groves and windswept landscape.<BR>Up to you - but you really can't go wrong.
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 08:28 PM

Hi Lily. Except for Assisi, I was in those same places in Italy last year and loved all of them. I also love Provence and have a good friend that raves about the Dordogne. <BR><BR>In addition to the good differences StCirq mentioned between the Dordogne and Provence, Provence has more of a historical connection to Italy. The name itself comes from Latin, meaning &quot;The Province&quot;, named this by the Romans because it was so significant to the Empire. There are Roman buildings in Orange, Avignon, Arles, and Nimes, as well as the spectacular Pont du Gard aqueduct. <BR><BR>Either one is a great choice. <BR><BR>
Old Mar 26th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks StCirq and Capo. I hope you gain something from providing all the help you give.