Dordogne or Perigord in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am thinking of a trip to France in early November (1st couple of weeks) and was thinking of either the Perigord or Dordogne region to visit. Do businesses really close down at the end of October? If so, I guess I'll need to rethink my itinerary.
Thanks in advance!
Tina
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 07:51 AM
cmt

You're using different names for the same place.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:01 AM

The Dordogne is a département (24) of France. The Périgord is the regional name for an area that is almost exactly the same geographic location.

In any event, yes, lots of businesses and hotels and B&Bs and restaurants and shops close down from mid- to end of October until Easter. That said, I have been in the Dordogne in November and found it to be wonderful. The main tourist attractions like the prehistoric caves and castles are open, there are enough restaurants and hotels that you won't be left hungry or out in the cold, there are NO crowds, and it's truffle season so there are some fascinating additions to the usual markets.
I don't think it's necessary to change your plans unless what you're interested in is a lot of shopping or you have your heart set on staying in certain hotels or eating at certain restaurants.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:13 AM

I'm with StCirq on this one. The area is outrageously picturesque even in the dead of winter. Plus, if you do your homework, there's incredible food to be found there, even in November. The best reason to go at this time: no tourists! My fully-loaded BMW sailed on through. Base yourself in and around Sarlat and explore. I have tears in my eyes imagining the taste of that delicious foie gras.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick responses. I guess I was a bit confused as to what the region was called!
Oh, I forgot to ask what the weather is like in November?
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:24 AM

NYC...as you're imagining the foie gras, are you imagining what the poor goose is going through while you're tearfully doing your imagining? Could that be why you're tearing up?
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:27 AM
gb

Does the foie gras tast good? I was up for trying it until I looked at it.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:27 AM
gb

should be taste
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Well, db, it's not considered one of the world's great foodstuffs based on what it looks like - of COURSE it tastes good! It's practically divine.

guimbymoy: The weather could be anything in November from dry and cool to rainy and cold to warm and wet. Given that France has suffered from a horrible heat wave most of the summer, it's anyone's guess. It will certainly be cold at night, with frosty mornings, so be prepared for that and rain. I'd just start checking the local forecasts a week or so ahead of time. You can get them at the website for the local newspaper www.lesudouest.com
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:26 PM

Q'moy:

We were there in late October last year. Perfect fall weather and scenery. Big fireplaces everywhere. You'll love it. "No crowds" is an understatement. We were the ONLY tourists at some of the sites we visited.

Here's a great website on Dordogne tourism:
http://www.arachnis.asso.fr/DORDOGNE/guide11.htm

And here's a little place I really, really wanted to stay, but they were booked. It looks divine. The first couple of web pages aren't that impressive, but move on into the rooms and interior shots...WOW!
http://www.arachnis.asso.fr/DORDOGNE...bb/bb05-1.html

Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM
gb

I know this sounds stupid. But, when I was in the stores and looked at the foie gras, it was usually in a jar with oil, then the fat, then, the "meat". So, do you drain the oil fat, or stir it in like peanut butter to make a pate. I never did get the opportunity to see it "serve", although I was expecting it to look like a liver pate we might have in the US.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:28 PM

There is NEVER any "oil" in jarred foie gras, or tinned for that matter - or at least there shouldn't be. There is only the foie gras itself and the fat (duck or goose) that it is packed in.

And no, you don't stir it all around to make a paste - you can buy a mousse of foie gras of canard or oie if that's what you want - you extract the "meat" from the jar and slice it and serve it on toasted baguette or whatever you want to serve it on. You can also sear it lightly on a grill or in a pan and serve it over greens or with a confit or whatever. You use the fat for cooking other things, like potatoes, to make pommes de terre sarladaises - or mushrooms, or whatever. The fat is very light and flavorful.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:31 PM

And the foie gras goes extremely well with a slightly sweet wine like a Sauturne.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
And you can buy a book on Amazon:
Foie Gras-A Passion
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 05:23 AM

Hi, I was also thinking of going to this area in March. Do you think that would be a good time?