Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dordogne hotels help please...can't decide!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I'm hoping someone has some input on these hotels. I'm trying to decide between:

* Hotel La Terrasse (standard room, 60 euros or deluxe room, 92 euros)

* La Villa Romaine (110 euros)

* Manoir Hautegente (180 euros for half board, which is required in June)

Obviously Hautegente is a lot more expensive, but if the meal is really great, I might consider it.

We are planning on using the hotel as a base for some low-impact sightseeing, indulging in good food and lounging around. Many thanks on any input on these hotels (or any other suggestions).
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM

It would be helpful for us to kow just where those hotels are located.
Old May 5th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm afraid I haven't got the greatest grip on my French geography, but from the maps on each hotel's website, as far as I can tell, La Terrasse is in Meyronne, which seems to be south of river Dordogne and somewhat east of Sarlat. La Villa Romaine is in Carsac, which seems to be north of the river Dordogne and slightly southeast of Sarlat. Hautegente is in Coly and appears to be closer to Lascaux than the others.

Hope that helps...thanks!
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:58 AM

Did not stay there, but Manoir Hautegente is one of the most charming hotels I've ever seen. The grounds/setting are gorgeous, with a stream running through the property. After having spent a week in the Dordogne, cannot think of a better place for lounging around. Although the location is not central to most of the sites, in my opinion the hotel makes up for that. Didn't get to eat there, since a wedding party had booked the hotel. However, the dining room was lovely. For my next trip to the Dordogne, would definitely rank this as one of the top two hotels I'd like to stay at.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Are you going to the Dordogne to see what interests most visitors - the prehistoric caves, castles, beautiful villages, bastide towns, etc?

If so, none of these hotels is especially well situated for touring, considering that there are lots of other very nice choices. I do agree that the Manoir Hautegente is a beautiful property. I haven't eaten there, but if having a good meal (and I'd guess it's a nice restaurant)would be the basis for your paying an extra 70-80 euros a night, keep in mind that wonderful restaurants abound in the Dordogne, and to pay 70-80 euros for a meal, other than at Le Centenaire would be hard. So I wouldn't base a decision on a hotel restaurant.

Is there a reason you selected these properties? Are you open to suggestions of other ones that are "closer in" to the main sights?
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I largely selected these properties because the rooms look to be of the type that my husband and I like...elegantly furnished and comfortable looking.

We are planning on doing the type of sightseeing that you describe, so I'm definitely open to other suggestions. I would prefer to not stay directly in the middle of a town, because it is nice to have a little quiet and scenery to retreat to. Just to give you an idea of what we're looking for, we recently stayed in Somerset for the weekend and found the B&B we were at to be perfect: somewhat isolated, but easy to get to a couple of different main roads which would take us to the sights in the area. We drove down to Devon and decided that we couldn't have handled that - too many people crowded into small villages and B&Bs all in a row.

I also just found La Belie B&B, which is in Meyrals. From their map, it looks like this is perhaps a better location?

Thanks, and we're definitely open to suggestions!
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:25 AM

Buster:

I don't know that B&B in Meyrals, but if it's right in *town* - and I use the term loosely - I wouldn't choose it. There are probably 3 towns out of 300 in the Dordogne that aren't just oozing with charm, and Meyrals is one of them. Something about that mountain of old tires in the field as you enter town that mars the landscape.

For places that meet your description outside towns check out La Table du Terroir in La Chapelle-Aubareil, the Château Puymartin on the road from Les Eyzies to Sarlat, Moulin de la Beune in Les Eyzies (but not right in town; rather in a gorgeous setting by the rushing Beune tributary); La Métairie in Mauzac;and Le Chaufour en Périgord in Sourzac.
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Not a B&B but a possibility is the Chateau de Puy Robert just outside Montignac. It also has a one star restaurant.
Old May 7th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the help. Michael, Chateau de Puy Robert looks great, but unfortunately they only have twin beds available, which I don't think hubby would be too happy about!