Dordogne - hotel questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Believe it or not I am trying to plan a Dordogne trip for the last two weeks of June (yes this year!) When my doctor says I can travel I get out of town as fast as possible. We will either fly or train to Bordeaux, pick up a rental car, and then spend 7 nights in the Sarlat area and maybe a bit east. I am following Stu Dudley's advice to stay within 25 km of Sarlat for 4-5 nights and then 2 nights in St Cere area.We like nice hotels but not very formal or super expensive and I think I would like to be in the country but close enough to a town for baker, restaurants,etc. Here is what I am considering;

1. Les Granges Hautes in St Crespin du Carlucet - is this too remote to drive to good restaurants at night except maybe in Sarlat? Is being north of Sarlat going to be inconvenient?They do have a room, although it is small and on top floor. Should I expect it to be terribly hot in mid June, if so attic room might not be good. I am assuming that a pool will be nice this time of year.

2. La Vigerie, Carlux - same question about location in relation to restaurants and sight seeing. is it getting too remote?

3. Hotel du Chateau, Beynac - it looks like this is right in town (couldn't find a good website for it) St Cirq, would it be too crowded in mid to late June to stay in town?

4.Hotel de Monrecour, Beynac - more expensive but looks like fun.

5.Chateau de Mombette, Cenac - only 3 rooms with simple decor. Anyone know anything about this? Location seems good.

6. Chateau du la Bourgonie, le Buisson - Looks like a good location.

Any comments on these hotels would be appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:44 AM
ira

Hi Peg,

We flew into Bordeaux and picked up the car at the airport. It was not much more than flying into CDG and taking the train with PREMS tickets.

If you do decide to take the train, I suggest the TGV to Libourne (25E PREMS) and getting the car there. Much easier than driving around Bordeaux.

I would not want an attic room in late June without AC.

Of the set you are considering, I would go with the Hotel du Chateau.

I can't remember it's location, but from the pic at
http://www.hotelduchateau-dordogne.com/
it appears to be on the road through Beynac.

Did you consider the Hotel Bonnet and the La Belle Etoile? Both are right on the river.

You might also want to consider this hotel in Vezac. http://tinyurl.com/lgjdy

Recommended by Michelin. Nice restaurant.

Have a nice visit.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice Ira. We will be arriving at Bordeaux airport or Libourne train station on Saturday afternoon. Will this be a problem finding car rentals open?

My hotel options are narrowing to ones in Carculet and Carlux. What do you think about these locations. Too far from the action of Domme, Beynac,etc?
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:24 PM

I can only comment on Hotel du Chateau in Beynac...love the place! If you request room 1 through 4 you will have a private patio with table and chairs that overlooks the Dordogne. Rooms are on the small side but clean and comfortable. I don't believe they have A/C, but you can lock the shutters and keep the windows open at night. Though right on the road, after 10:00 we didn't really hear any traffic noise. The church bells start ringing from 8:00 am on. Their restaurant ( I would kill to have their foie gras poelé right now!) is very, very good. We enjoy having un apératif of the local nut or peach liquer/wine across the street at the Maleville at their ivy-strung patio, but found their cuisine just okay. Sarlat is only about 20 minutes away.

I would be glad to email you some photos of the place. Just let me know at [email protected] if you do.

We enjoyed meals at both the Belle Etoile and Hotel/Restaurant Bonnet and wouldn't hesitate to dine at either of these establishments.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:29 PM

You should rent the car from the States. Usually when you give your date and time of pick-up, you will be told if the rental agency is open at that hour or not.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:23 AM
ira

Hi Peg,

>We will be arriving at Bordeaux airport or Libourne train station on Saturday afternoon. Will this be a problem finding car rentals open?<

As noted, prebook your car rental. You will save money and get the car you want.

See www.autoeurope.com, www.novarental.com, and http://www.tigercarrental.com/

Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:30 AM

Hotel Bonnet right on the river is our favorite and our last night in the Dordogne we splurged and stayed a wonderful night in the luxurious Chateau De La Treyne not far down the river. Both have chefs to die for and Bonnet is very reasonable for half pension.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 07:49 AM
ira

Hi surf,

When were you at the Bonnet?

In Sept 2005, there was a new chef.

Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:20 PM

just bookmarking! Thanks!