Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dordogne hotel--Le Pont de L'Ouysse or Manoir de Bellerive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 09:26 AM
hla
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am considering these two hotels for a short visit to the Dordogne. I would like to visit Font de Gaume, Sarlat area, but also Gouffre de Padriac and maybe Rocamadour. Le Pont de L'Ouysse is in Lacave, and Manoir de Bellerive is in Le Buisson. Would either hotel make a better base to see those areas in Dordogne and Lot?

I have read many posts on Dordogne, and I would really appreciate just a little more advice. Thank you!
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 09:58 AM

It's kind of a toss up really. Buisson is closer to Font du Gaume and Sarlat, while Lacave is closer to the Gouffre & Rocamadour. I would probably choose Lacave because you can also visit Carennac, Castelnau Brentoux, Loubressac, Autoire, and Martel easily from there.

If it were my trip, I would choose to stay closer to Sarlat.

You mentioned the Lot river. If you plan to visit there, perhaps visit Pech Merle and skip Font du Gaume. That way your Lacave choice would be much better situated.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 10:20 AM
ira

Hi hla,

It's about an 1:30 hr from Lacave to Les Eyzies and about the same from Le Buisson de Cadouin to Padirac.

I would choose based on the quality of the hotel.

Have you considered staying nearer to Sarlat?

Old Dec 31st, 2004, 12:25 PM
hla
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your helpful replies. What are your favorite hotels closer to Sarlat? I was thinking Buisson was close enough, but do you think even this is too far? (Viamichelin says its a 36 minute drive) Thanks again, I really need the advice, as this is our first trip to this part of France.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 01:05 PM

L'Esplanade in Domme is quite popular and centrally located. The restaurant there is excellent. Ask for a view room. 05 53 28 31 41 [email protected]. Search Google - there is probably a web site.

I have a 20+ page itinerary for touring the Dordogne. E-mail me at [email protected] if you want a copy.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 01:07 PM

Error - on wanadoo.fr there is only 1 r at the end. My post had wanadoo.frr
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 01:27 PM

We stumbled on Pont de l'ouysse a few years back for a Sunday lunch and were so delighted that we planned our next trip using it as our base for day trips. The restaurant is outstanding and the serenity is unsurpassed. We have also stayed for a while on a previous trip at L'Esplanade in Domme and the restaurant is good and the view is incomparable. the only negative is the ascent and descent each day and finding parking amidst the swarms of tourists. There is more to see within a short drive of either of the above than one trip can accomodate.
Old Dec 31st, 2004, 02:11 PM

It's not at all a problem to take a nice (long) daytrip from the Sarlat area to Rocamadour, the Gouffre de Padirac, Martel, Collonges-la-Rouge, etc., especially if you're not going in high season, and that's what I'd recommend.

The Manoir de Bellerive has lost some of its appeal for me over the last 7-8 years, especially the restaurant. Plus,s it's on a stretch of highway south of the river where you can't just really leave the hotel and wander around a town or village, which is fun to do in the evenings without a car.

I'd look into some other places like the Belle Etoile in La Roque-Gageac, the Esplanade in Domme, the Abbaye in St-Cyprien, the Domaine de la Barde in Le Bugue - and stay in the Sarlat area where there is a real concnetration of sites to see. Then plan a nice daytrip to the other area.

Alternatively, if you want to move to the Rocamadour area for a night or more, I'd recommend the Domaine de la Rhue.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:28 AM
hla
Original Poster

Wow, this is exactly the information I need. Thanks to everyone. StCirq, I will look into your suggestions and consider staying in the Sarlat area and day trip east. Does anyone have any other recommended hotels? Thanks again.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 07:13 AM

Well, I don't know how many hotel recommendations you want, but here are some more:

Le Relais des Cinq Châteaux in Vitrac
Le Manoir d'Hautegente
The Hôtel Bonnet in Beynac
Le Vieux Moulin in Les Eyzies
Hostellerie de la Ferme Lamy in Meyrals
Le Viuex Logis in Trémolat
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
hla
Original Poster

StCirq--once again, many thanks. Le Manoir d'Hautegente looks absolutely beautiful. Do you think this is too far from the sites of Dordogne?
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

hla:

Coly would not be my first choice of location (I'd rather be closer to and preferably just south or east of, Sarlat), but it might suit you if you're going to spend equal time in Quercy or the Lot as well as the Périgord.
It also depends what time of year. If it's July or August, the roads will be crowded and slow, and getting in and out of the smaller villages involves a lot of traffic. If it's in the off-season, it would be easier.