Dordogne, Carcassonne,Sare

Feb 12th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Dordogne, Carcassonne,Sare

We are planning on 12 nights between April 10-22,2006.We will arrive at Bordeaux and leaving from Toulouse.We are self-drive and this will be the third trip to France.Here are the itinerary 1.Dordogne-7 days 2.Carcassone-2days 3.Sare(near border of Spain)-3days.Any advice would be appreciated.
Feb 12th, 2006, 08:56 AM

What kind of advice are you seeking?
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM
ira

Hi C,

Is Sare an absolute must?

Feb 12th, 2006, 09:15 AM

From Carcassone to Sare will take certainly one day of driving. Getting back to Toulouse afterwards will eat up another day. This only leaves one date at Sare. I've never visited Sare before so maybe it's worth the trouble but from Carcassone you could spend a few days along the Mediterranean coast. Maybe visit Montpellier or even Collioure. There are some good Cathar castles west from Carcassone and possibly you could find a good bottle of wine in that area.

Maybe you should keep your visit to Sare for another trip.

Blackduff
Feb 12th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Don't know how Carcassone is going to consume 2 days. If you arrive at 5:00pm, stay overnight, then take the tour in the morning of the Chateau, that's about all the time you will need to see all there is to see.

The Pays Basque region is very pretty - we spent 2 weeks there in '02 - lots of things to see & do. I would shorten the time in Carcassone, and increase your stay in Sare by 1 day.

Why don't you fly back from Biarritz instead of Toulouse???

Stu Dudley

Feb 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

We would like to know the area around Pyrenees,Basque near Spanish border.Karen Brown guide book said that Sare is one of the France prettiest village.We also have the days left from Dordogne
Feb 12th, 2006, 10:04 AM
ira

Hi C,

>...Sare is one of the France prettiest village...<

Sare is one of many "Les Plus Beaux Villages de France".

In the Dordogne, you will find Belvès, Limeuil, Beynac-et-Cazenac, La Roque-Gageac, Domme, Monpazier and Saint Jean-de-Côle.

Feb 12th, 2006, 10:22 AM

As ira notes, you don't need to go all teh way to Sare to see one of the plus beaux villages de France. The Dordogne is studded with them.

One day, or even two, is not sufficient to see the Pyrénées region. I'd save it for another trip and instead treat yourself to a nice ride through the Lot valley and then the Langeudoc on your way to Carcassonne.
Feb 12th, 2006, 11:22 AM

I think I agree with Stu..see if you can shorten Carcassonne and stay another night in Sare. That town, and others nearby such as Espelette, are charming both aesthetically and in the fact that they are lived in and alive. A few of the "Plus belles.." villages seem very petrified and devoid of life. The hilly countryside around Sare is lovely and easy to drive through.
Feb 12th, 2006, 01:46 PM

If you do go to Sare here is the website of a great hotel:
http://www.arraya.com/anglais.html
They are closed npw..re-open the first of March, I believe. A great area to stay in to see that part of France/Spain/Basque country.

Enjoy.........