Doolin or Ballyvaughan?

Jul 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Doolin or Ballyvaughan?

I'm wondering if anyone would reccomend one town over the other for 2 days in late September. Thanks.
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:44 PM

I don't know if either town is worth 2 days unless you plan to use it as a base for day trips.

I've not stayed in Ballyvaughan, but I have stayed in Doolin because it was close to what I wanted to do/see.

What are your plans?
Jul 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Budman- We'll be flying into Shannon the first day, so I don't know how much we'll accomplish, but want to see Cliifs of Moher and explore the Burren.
Thanks.
Jul 29th, 2004, 04:41 AM

You can see the Cliffs and explore the Burren all in the same day you arrive. Both are only a few minutes away from each other.

What's your itinerary like? Are you heading North or South after the Cliffs/Burren?

I think 2 night in either place would be overkill.
Jul 29th, 2004, 07:48 AM

I spent two nights in Doolin in the odd season and liked it. There is a lot to see from there if you want to spend a day heading down to Loophead and if you really want to explore the Burren as opposed to driving through it. There are some guided tours available that are apparently quite interesting, though I've never done them.

If you don't have a lot of time in Ireland, two days could be overkill, but it depends on what you want to see. As far as one town vs. the other, I've never stayed in Ballyvaughn so I don't know if there is much going on at night. Doolin has three pubs all of which have music. If you are there during the high or even shoulder season and you have any interest in hearing the music at all, you need to get there very early to stake out a seat near the band. If you are any distance away, the din of the crwod will drwon them out. Most poeple don't do to hear the music. I do.

Bill
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:03 AM

Ballyvaughen would be my choice but only because Doolin is usually too crowded for my taste. This is especially true if you plan on being there in the summer. Off season, maybe not so bad.

Bill and Budman are right about being able to do the area in a few days. What I like about Ballyvaughan is that it is closer to Galway and so easily reachable should you decide to head that way for a day trip. Having said that, I've seen a good many rented cottage in and about Ballyvaughan so perhaps high season there is quite as busy as Doolin.

Cheers,

Wendy
Jul 29th, 2004, 08:04 AM

tallboy,

One of the pleasures of a visit to Ireland is to take the time to slow down, to place your watch under that B & B pillow, and get into the decidedly relaxed pace of Eire's west coast. In other words, don't be reluctant to dedicate two nights to either Doolin or Ballyvaughn. In fact, you could extend your stay by a day or two, using either place as a base for detailed explorations of County Clare.

Given the choice, I'd opt for Ballyvaughn over Doolin. (But, then, if you're looking for a livelier, more heavily touristed place, you might prefer the latter.) Ballyvaughn's Monk's Pub is a terrific place for fresh seafood and a pint. It's also an ideal base from which to explore the remarkable landscape that is the Burren, to take some hikes, seaside drives, and to tour the many ancient ruins that can be found in the area. Some of these include the 5000-year-old Poulnabrone dolmen and the 12th century Corcomroe Abbey. Another attraction - especially good on a rainy day - is Ailwee Cave.

Should you wish to spend some time in and around Doolin, do make a point of having dinner at either or both The Lazy Lobster and Bruach na hAille. Both are quite good. The Doolin Crafts Gallery is an especially good gift shop, one that features top quality gifts that are made in Ireland. It's worth a trip.

Best of luck.
Jul 29th, 2004, 10:02 AM

I'd also choose Ballyvaughan, but I'm not a big fan of Doolin. Doolin became a tourist mecca because of its remarkable music scene. These days, frankly, I think the great music's gone, but the tourist crowds remain. I'm also not enamored of the layout of the town---it kind of has 2 ends, but no real center.

My favorite place to stay in that area is Kinvara, a few miles east of Ballyvaughan.