Search

Doolin, Ireland

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 1999, 12:37 PM
Michelle

Doolin, Ireland

What can you tell me about the town? How small is it? Is it a nice town to walk in? We're thinking of staying 3 nights in Doolin and doing day trips from there. Would there be enough to keep us busy for 3 days that wouldn't involve long distance driving? We'd go to the Cliffs of Moher, maybe an Aran Island depending on the weather, (is Inisheer worth the trip?) and a trip to Galway City. What else is nearby to Doolin? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old May 23rd, 1999, 07:09 PM
Bob G.

I spent 8 days golfing and touring the west coast last June. My faviote area was near Galway. Doolin is nice. We stayed nearby in an old castle/summer house. We played 18 at Lahinch( one of the best courses in the world). It was very quite and small, the town. You can walk the town in 10 minutes. In summer it is known for Irish music(new age,folk and even rock). The area is great but as two golfing guys with wifes and kids at home it seem very quiet for the beginnig of June. The towns in this area are colorful. You better have a car because it is the back country. The cliffs are a must see even if it is raining. When doesn't rain? The Irish call it the soft weather. Bring rain gear, it rains often but it doesn't ruin the day. If you would want more E mail me. The has interesting geo. , called the Burran. Hiking and even horse back treking is big young and old. BOB

Old May 24th, 1999, 01:20 AM
Ginny

Michelle - I don't know anything about Doolin, but we've been to the Aran Islands, Inisheer in particular. I loved the place - it is stark, desolate and rugged. Not the kind of place if you want to shop (except Aran island sweaters). It takes about 2 hours by boat, each way. If you want you can rent bicycles and cruise around. If natural, rugged beauty appeals to you, I think you would like it. There are three pubs near the port, and a few small restaurants also. Galway is also a terrific town, lots of culture, huge interesting pubs, good restaurants, and typical university town feel to it. You will LOVE Ireland!

Old May 24th, 1999, 07:46 PM
Amita

Doolin is split into two halves. Last year I stayed in the lower half (closer to the sea) at a terrific, brand new B&B called Sea View House, run by a young couple. If you email me I can give you more info on the place. They were most helpful in helping us figure out where to go. It is a great base to explore the Burren, which is where the ground is all limestone pavement. The Cliffs are just 3 miles away.

Old May 25th, 1999, 05:54 AM
Holly

I agree with the postings about the area. We stayed near Doolin in Lisdoonvarna, in a really nice B&B near a stream, I think it was Castlemount or some such name. The most refreshing thing for us was that the breakfasts were not limited to eggs, bacon, and sausage, but offered a wide choice of fruits, yogurt, etc. Anyway, it's a good location for doing what you are interested in doing, and with a day trip to the ARan Islands you will have the perfect amount of time. I believe you can comfortably see the sights of the Burren (including teh dolmens) and the Cliffs in a day

Old May 25th, 1999, 09:52 AM
kam

Galway City is probably the most enjoyable of all Irish cities at the moment. Lots going on--restaurants, pubs, shops, and lots of enciting plans for the future. Do drive up into Connemara to see the really bleak reality of the west of Ireland. Clifden is a lovely little town up in Connemara.

Old May 26th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Michelle

Thanks to everyone for your input. We still can't decide whether to stay right in Doolin or stay in a town that is larger (ie. Lisdoonvarna). We want to go to the infamous pubs in Doolin at night (McCann's and O'Connor's) to hopefully hear some traditional music, so that's why we're thinking of Doolin so that we wouldn't have to be driving in the pitch dark at night which might cause some difficulty finding a B&B that's outside Doolin. Has anyone experienced night time driving in that area in July?

Old May 26th, 1999, 05:00 PM
Donna

Michele, I think when I describe Doolin, you'll want to stay there at least 2 nights. Then if you want to move down the road a bit, go to Lisdoonvarna for a night. Doolin and the area is on the West Coast of Clare, and one of the most wonderful things was to see the sun setting over the Atlantic . . . just dropping into the ocean, gone. <BR> <BR>O'Connor's Pub is fun and we had good pub food and heard great local music. <BR> <BR>We've been to Doolin twice, and the reason we first went was that I had listened to a Loreena McKennitt interview and she talked about the West Coast of Clare and Doolin . . . and the beautiful music. The first time we were in Doolin we stayed at a B&B called Atlantic Sunset. Very satisfied. The second time we were there we stayed in a B&B called Cullinans. Extremely satisfied. You MUST eat an evening meal there ANYWAY, at Cullinans. Email them to reserve a table. It is a small place, about 8 tables. Seafood, extraordinary. Lovely hosts. <BR> <BR>There's another place that I'd like to stay at that is about 2 miles north of Cullinan's, just north of the church, and it has a great view of the Atlantic. I'm not at home now to get the name and address, but if you are interested, you can email me and I'll describe more. An old ruined castle is on the grounds and the sheep are roaming around. <BR> <BR>You will fall in love with this area. There is a GREAT craft shop, all Irish artists and artisans, just east of the church, which is just north of Cullanins. I have bought beautiful sweaters, local pottery, local books there both times, had the stuff shipped home, very pleased. <BR> <BR>Between the craft shop and the church is the cemetery. High crosses, just a cemetery with views all around, you will feel something there. <BR> <BR>Every thing is "just around the corner." <BR>Don't miss this place. You can go for an afternoon at Cliffs of Moher, then to Lahinch for golf or for Pitch and Putt, watch the surfers (there is a crescent of waves coming in), you can go to the Burren, gosh! This is making me really miss the place. <BR> <BR>Are you flying into Shannon? You should be, then you can get right over there to Doolin. <BR> <BR>Best wishes.

Old May 30th, 1999, 04:48 PM
Michelle

Thanks Donna for the great info. Any experience with nighttime driving? I understand Ireland is easy to get lost in in the daylight because signs are poor, so I'm a little concerned about driving in the pitch dark.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 04:57 PM
Donna

Michelle, it was not easy for us to drive in the dark. Lucky me, I had a flashlight in my purse and I could follow the map with that--those puny little car inside lights aren't much help. Be sure you have a very detailed map, a sense of direction, and an even bigger sense of adventure to be driving in the dark. A little unnerving for me, but hey, had no problems. <BR> <BR>I hope you have a great time. Any chance you would go to County Offaly as well during this trip? Would love for you to go to Kinnitty Castle, you can stay there, or go see Leap Castle just down the road, the most haunted castle in Ireland.