Doolin B&B In town or outside town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First time with family in Irelnad. Question, kids are old enough to drink, but not drive rental car. We can stay in Doolin or out in country near Lahinch. Plan to drive to sightsee during the day and pubs at night. Would in town be better?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Lahinch is horrible cheap and downmarket but with a lovely surf beach--go to Doolin dont know the hotels there -iimagine they are small or B and B and stay there.We travel from London to Eat in the Doolin Cafe --the worlds best food and on plastic table cloths !BEAUTIFUL AREA TRY TO FIND THE DOLPHINS -ask a local ....Have a great time and bring waterproof jackets --layers---important !
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:41 AM

topping....
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM

If you plan to be in the pubs at night, you're better off staying in town. You really don't want to be driving those roads after dark when you've had a few.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM

why not go to Lisdoonvarna, not right on the coast, a little inland from Doolin. They have very good accomodations and good pubs. I've stayed at Sheedy's Country House and Carrigans. Sheedy's is a little more up-scale but not that expensive. Carrigan's is nice. Both are run by lovely families.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your responses. I will keep browsing, I might let the almighty $ make my decision.
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 08:46 AM

brilliant pubs in Doolin with traditional music..dont drive anywhere after a few!
Old Jun 18th, 2006, 09:10 AM

I recommend Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare. It is a small coastal village on north Clare coast. Stay in B & Bs or in Hylands Hotel or O'Briens B& B or others in village. Good pubs, music, food and no need to drive.
Good for exploring Burren region.
http://www.burrenforts.ie/mainj/links/ballyvaughan.htm

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel..._Pub-BR-1.html
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I would recommend the Doolin Activity Lodge B&B (www.doolinlodge.com), which is within walking distance of the town. We only stopped for breakfast (Mario's Restaurant serves breakfast to the public as well as their guests) but it was a really nice place. They have a little internet cafe downstairs too. We're going to stay there the next time we're in country.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM

I second the Doolin Activity Lodge. I stayed there for my first night last year and found it to be a very good experience. It was close to town in walking distance of all the pubs and will serve its purpose.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:28 AM

just returned...
love doolin...but it is changing quickly. sad to report large shopping, hotel, complex being built across from cullinans...I'm afraid one of my favorite quaint Irish experience stays will soon be fading into the past...what I love about Doolin is the "small village" feel, fun to walk down a quiet, dark path back to the B&B after a fun night at a pub listening to a session.

stayed at cullinans (our family best breakfast award...and has a 1st floor room with a hot tub!, funny mules in back fields), right at the cross roads, easy 5 min. stroll to McGann's (our family best mussels and Irish stew award...good dessert too!)and McDermontt's.

last trip we stayed at Doonmacfelim...easy stroll to Gus O'Connor's ...good pub grub and trad sessions.