Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which seat to pick on Italian Eurostar? Can reservations be made for dining car?

Search

Which seat to pick on Italian Eurostar? Can reservations be made for dining car?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In traveling from Venice to Florence on the Eurostar, I am buying our tickets in advance, first class. It gives me the option of choosing seating configuration. For two traveling together, it looks like single seats facing each other are best. Each has a window and an aisle. Across the aisle are four seats, sets of two facing each other. Are these the only choices? Are there no sets of two, side by side, facing the same way that do NOT face two other passengers looking at you?

Also, the site allows the user to choose the location of the seats by carriage and seat. What are the possible choices, and does anyone have an opinion as to the best locations?

Is there a dining car on the Venice to Florence Eurostar, and is it possible to make reservations in advance for lunch?

If yes to the last, is it possible/recommended to get a 2nd class seat and plan to spend the trip at the dining car table enjoying a leisurely lunch?

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM

2nd class on the ES* is two-by-two either side of the aisle. You can request a single-seat on their website all you want, but since these seats don't exist (or only one or two in each car), you'll not get it.

If you want to sit face-to-face, then go ahead. If you want to sit side-by-side, then choose side-by-side.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:09 PM

There is a dining car, I've had a very nice meal on the Eurostar, but I went second class-and I got my seat two cars away from the dining car so I wouldn't have to walk a mile.

I'm not sure about the configuration in lst class, but I think those two are the only configuration of seats-unless the last row of seats is different, and there is a two-seater facing forward, which can sometimes be the case.

You know, I don't know about the reservations-I believe that some tables might have been reserved-good question-I traveled last year on a Sunday afternoon, so they had the big Sunday afternoon dinner thing going-I did not have a reservation and I did not have a problem with a table-but that was low season.

As far as the leisurely lunch is concerned-that's exactly what I did-they had a nice roast for meat eaters, a nice fresh pasta with vegetables, salad and tiramisu, lots of flowing red and white wine, if I remember correctly.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:22 PM

A few seats are two seats next to each other facing no one else but they are few in number
On ETR 500 trains in car 3 (1st class) seats 15 and 13; 24 and 26 seem to be the only such seats on the whole train according to my train seat diagram.

On other ETR trains:
ETR 460
these older Eurostar trains seem to have many such seats - indeed most of the two adjoining 1st class seats seem to face the backs of the seats in front of them
ETR450- the oldest Eurostar train sets seems to have nearly all the two adjoining seats facing the same way and facing backs of those in the next seats
Now this train car diagram is from a year ago and it's a bit confusing but this is my best effort at interpreting it.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM

On first class, I recommend two face to face on single seat side; they should be seats that end in 1 and 2, e.g. 41-42, 51-52, etc.

I have requested 2 side by side seats many time; they NEVER gave me such seats. Instead, they ALWAYS gave me face to face seats with someone else sitting next to me and my wife. Why do they do this? I don't know.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM

but then someone has to ride backwards... Wouldn't be my choice
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 01:02 PM

About backwards - trains often turn around en route - like from Rome to Venice they often go into Florence SMN and then go out the other way and ditto in Bologna i think - so you should determine what way the seats will be facing forward for the bulk of the trip if that's important to you. And when the go into any terminus (dead-end terminal station without thru trains) they will come out the other way.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:39 PM

I replied to your other thread where you ask about reservations in dining car. (Click on your name and look through your other posts.)

I don't think you can make reservations. That's not to say that if you do this trip regularly and you tip the guy and they know you and you have his cell number etc. etc. - sure they'll hold a table for you I would think. But officially - not to my knowledge.

Anyone?

WK
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:21 AM
ira

Hi BS,

You wouldn't be a Sherlockian would you?

Unlike airplanes, you cannot be guaranteed a seat facing forward on a train since, as noted, they often go into a station facing one way and come out facing the other way.

>..the site allows the user to choose the location of the seats by carriage and seat.<

Only if you want a seat next to someone who already has bought a ticket.

Skip this part.