Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't go there!

12 Guardian writers pick their least favourite days out in the UK
http://tinyurl.com/oql82
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:30 AM

What a desperately snobbish article. How can Hampton Court be a 'worst day out'??? I can think of a million much worse places than the ones listed here (perhaps with the exception of Madame Tussauds).
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 04:51 AM

Actually, I think it is a pretty good list. I have not visited the complete dozen. However, from those that I have visited I will be pleased to believe that I can leave the remainder off my list.

Stonehenge? It is impressively boring – I completely agree that when you could go up and touch the stones it was a different experience but no more.

John O’Groats? Pity they didn’t include Land’s End as well – equally boring.

London Eye? Completely agree – should be renamed London Eyesore

Tate Modern? Now there I was going to disagree – saw a wonderful exhibit of Turner in Venice there – but that was a special exhibit – so I can still agree with the main point to avoid the Tate Modern

Eden Project – my only experience with the Edden Project is the last Bond movie – which was, IMHO, the most boring Bond movie – another point of agreement with the Grauniad

Madame Tussaurds? Awful!

Blackpool Illuminations? Now these are verging on the “they are so bad they are good” category – but only verging – am afraid they are bad

Having said that I have to disagree with one – Hampton Court – lovely place wonderful gardens – it’s more than just a hedge.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:16 AM

A lot of people believed it when they were told the world is flat,too

I'm suprised at any independent traveler who hasn't yet learned, much less accepted, the fact that different sights/sites appeal to different people.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:23 AM

Regardless of whether or not you agree, it is hilarious ! Thanks for pointing it out, Josser.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:27 AM
Pausanias

I've visited Stonehenge several times. Walking through the stones was exciting and mysterious. But -- viewing the monument is better with people excluded. Too bad they can't work out a half-hour in, half-hour out schedule.

Agree that Hampton Court is overpriced and also find the maze too simple.

I hate ferris wheels and wax museums.

Worst day out? I'm not fond of British seaside resort towns. (Not to be confused with the wild coast.)

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 05:42 AM

Very amusing. I agree, though, that different people like different things. My sister loves Dollywood and tells me all the time that I should go; I can't imagine ever setting foot in the place!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:28 AM

I can't imagine a bad day out in the UK, unless I happen to get run over by a car or am the victim of assault (which of course can happen anywhere). I know I am easily amused, but still, I was never disappointed with anything I did in the UK. Having said that, I have no desire to see Madame Tussaud's.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:08 AM

My tuppenceworth?

Stonehenge- Not been. Would love to, if it weren't for the crowds. Probably more impressed with Avebury

John O'Groats- got to disagree a bit here. Them thar peatbogs are a fabulous ecosystem; the Pentland Firth is a stunning piece of water, and, OK, the village is nothing to write home about.

London Eye- Fantastic architecture; schlocky but fun experience

Tate Modern- not been yet. Pleased with the architecture. Art's for srt's sake.

The Tales of Robin Hood- not been. Sounds awful

Eden Project- not been. Sounds wonderful
Edinburgh Castle- redolant with emotion and history. I could spend a day in the War Memorial alone. And the display for the Honours? To die for.
Haworth- not been. Probably couldn't be bothered.
Hampton Court- not been. Too republican to care.

Madame Tussauds- not been. No desire to.

Centre for Alternative Technology, Machynlleth,- not been but know a lot about it. Great teaching resource. Not a tourist destination.

Blackpool illuminations- so bad they're good. Don't get out of the car, tho'

Old Jun 24th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Stonehenge boring?? Perhaps if you have little imagination. It is the kind of place where you can see past the crowds. I especially like Stonehenge on a gray cool day. Fortunately there are lots of those.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Well, I had one of the most memorable experiences of my life at Hampton Court. I got to say hello to Prince Charles... (I was quite amazed at the small amount of visible security around him. He just walked up to the tourists gawking and taking photos and began to speak.)
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Haworth - it's a small mill village that apart form the Bronte connection has zilch to recommend it - bit like Stratford-upon-Avon without the river

Stonehenge - Avebury is a much more impressive site & it's cheaper (ie FREE)
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I disagree with Hampton Court and Edinburgh Castle; they are two of my favorite places to visit in the UK.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Well, everyone's got his/her personal likes and dislikes. I happen to like Hampton Court.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I liked both the London Eye and Tate Modern....I guess everyone's opinion is all relative and subjective.