Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Changing of the Guard/Buckingham Palace worth it if only in London short time?

Notices

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have another thread but thought this might get lost. And some here might have strong opinions for or against seeing the whole Changing of the Guard thing.

Wondering if you'd recommend it or is it only a zoo? Only going every other day so might still be as crowded as in summer, I suppose?

I would only include it if we tack on one more night & end up w/ a full day in London vs. half day. That much I know for I fear time would be too tight otherwise & we'd be worrying just navigating our way there & back to Heathrow.

The only time I was in England, hubby had a short stint in Reading for work. So, I did a tour of Windsor on my own..and saw a regiment there. Didn't even get a peek at London due to having just been in Norway that time, too...and only having so much time for vacation from work.

This time like I mentioned in other thread is definitely NOT a vacation. (a family health emergency takes us to Norway)

Is Buckingham Palace's much more striking generally than Windsor's? I know Windsor itself is supposed to be more interesting to tour through, right? Anyway, just wondering if this is just a tourist 'trap' sort of thing, or what you think of it?
Thanks so much!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Neopolitan

To be honest, if I were staying in London for a month, the changing of the guard at Buckingham wouldn't be worth it to me. I found it one of the most nothing, long and drawn out deals I ever witnessed. The one at Windsor is certainly better or at Horse Guards.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought it was a bit anticlimatic. Although if you are into marching band music, it was the only time I have heard a marching band play songs like - "Lady of Spain", "Getting to Know You" and a nice variety of Beatles songs.

Given a short amount of time, I'd skip it.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto. You need to get there very early if you want to have a spot at the gates, somewhat less so to stand by the statue in front. Went 2 times, both times hear them coming, saw a bit of them entering grounds, saw one guy standing in the grounds, then hear them leaving...not like it is in the tourism reels. You could consider the Horses Guards changing, which is considerably less attended.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The short answer - Nope. Too crowded for what you actually get to see.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing of the guards--no. Not impressive, IMHO. As for Buckingham itself, I loved it. But I guess I am probably considered a cheezy royal watcher, and we went on the 50th anniversary of the coronation, which was incredible. They had her gown and all this other stuff on display in the castle. I thought it was much more decadent than Windsor--a tremendous display of wealth. I recognized a lot of things in there that I had only seen in pictures before. But don't get me wrong, I loved Windsor too. Much more historical and seemed like a "real" castle. If you are into history you would probably like it more, and of course the setting of Windsor can't be beat. So I suggest you do both!!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I managed to live in London for six months without ever seeing it. For one thing, I didn't like look at Buckingham Palace. It's so depressing.

Last time I was in London, I happened to walk by the Royal Horseguards on my way to meeting somebody else, and out trotted all the horses to make their way to the palace. It was amusing, but I wouldn't under any circumstances risk missing a plane to see it or go through any stress to see it.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the honest feedback. Helps immensely.