Reload this Page >

Don't call me garçon!

Search

Don't call me garçon!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 06:42 AM
BTilke

Don't call me garçon!

Read an interview with French and Belgian waiters today and they agreed, they don't like being called "gar&ccedil;on" it's definitely out of date. I still hear tourists doing it from time to time (probably using some old, out of step guidebooks). The waiters say it's almost as bad as snapping fingers, but not quite. <BR>The waiters said they are proud of their work and do their best to treat customers well. They said they would remain polite to those who still call them gar&ccedil;on, but there's a lot of eye rolling and comments on the other side of the kitchen doors.<BR>In addition, the Bulletin, an English language newsmagazine published here in Brussels, did a profile on a waiter who said pretty much the same thing. <BR>BTilke (Brussels)

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Sadie

Well, then what DO they want to be called? I'm assuming that they haven't adopted that horrible American habit of introducing themselves by their first name. <BR><BR>And an alternative to that awful finger-snapping would be handy for when they're looking the other way.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:11 AM
kavey

I usually just say<BR><BR>"S'il vous plait?"<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:12 AM
kateconrad

You can always call a man "Sir"-they do not mind that..<BR>I was told that calling a man Garcon is the same as calling him Boy~so I understand the affront.Think about how you would like someone to summon you

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:23 AM
mimi taylor

Monsieur, S'il vous plait.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Ursula

Oui, definitely, "Monsieur, s'il vous plait."

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Jean Pierre Francois

The correct way to summon a waiter in france is:<BR><BR>Eh tete tortue! <BR>Gouttez votre plats et servez moi maintenant! Vous etes mon esclave!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:14 AM
rectull

the above is quite cute...sort of translates to<BR>You are slow as a tortoise! Drop your dishes and serve me now! You are my slave!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:16 AM
hector

or you can try using<BR><BR>H&eacute; l'homme en graisse, obtiennent ici et prennent ma commande que je suis un Am&eacute;ricain!!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:18 AM
maisnon

I beg to differ w/above smart aleck-if you deemed them to be your slave,you would not be addressing them in the formal/polite 'vous' !

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Dan

I don't think the above says "your as slow as a turtle". I think it says "Hey turtle head." But my french is rusty.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Dan

That should be YOU'RE as slow as a turtle, not your. My English ain't none too good either.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:31 AM
kc

<BR>Garcon-also means a "boy servant" or a wretch...that should answer that question!Whatever language you speak, you should address people with some respect.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:33 AM
maisnon

I beg to differ w/above smart aleck-if you deemed them to be your slave,you would not be addressing them in the formal/polite 'vous' !

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:34 AM
A.M.

Why not call them waiter/waitress, that's what they are, like calling a nurse or doctor whose name you don't know, those monikers. What is the French translation for waiter anyway?<BR>Just curious, as always.<BR>A.M. (NURSE)

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:40 AM
k

waiter=serveur<BR>waitress=serveuse

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:42 AM
puzzled

garcon de cafe-says the French to English dictionary for Waiter...would one say that? Or is monsieur the best?

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Leone

Amazing .... monsieur et madame (ou mademoiselle), n'est-ce pas? Tres facile! Ciao, L

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 08:49 AM
c

Merci beaucoup~Leone-bien choisi *C