Reload this Page >

Things to skip/not miss in Edinburgh?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:04 PM
Emie

Doing preliminary research on our first visit to Edinburgh this spring. Any suggestions, advice is much appreciated. <BR><BR>Also curious about day tours from Edinburgh to surrounding areas. We're very interested in castles, churches, ruins, etc... Everything!<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Emie

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 12:38 PM
xxx

How long are you going to be in Edinburgh? Are you going any where else in Scotland?

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 04:13 PM
Emie

XXX:<BR><BR>We will be in Edinburgh for approx one week with 2 or 3 days on either end spent in London. (Taking the train from London to Edinburgh & back).<BR><BR>Anyplace else near Edinburgh -- that can be done on a daytrip we'd be most interested in.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Emie

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 05:14 PM
c

Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities. There's no need for a car and is easy to get around by foot. If you do start to get tired during the day, keep in mind that there is a free shuttle bus between the main museums (as well as no entrance fees).<BR><BR>If you're interested in taking a day trip or two, I had good luck with Rabbie's Trail Burners (www.rabbies.com). The tour guides are knowledgable and the tours are limited to small groups of less than 20 people. I went on their 12 hour tour through the Highlands (Glencoe, Loch Ness, etc.) and they also have a day trip to St. Andrews. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 3rd, 2002, 07:24 PM
ann

Stirling Scotland (gateway to the "highlands"is a short train or bus ride away. It has another wonderful castle to see and various historical places - ie -Braveheart movie scenes.<BR>It is a gorgoeus city, small. <BR>I second going to St. Andrews.<BR>If you can rent a car and just tour the small villages and beautiful countryside I think you will be happy, grab a map and just go where your heart desires for a day!

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 02:42 AM
Sylvia

You will be able to get around by foot; it is a small, compact but breathtaking city. The taxis are great - clean and reasonable if you get tired. Rabbi's Trail Burners can get you to the countryside if you want. I just can't say enough about how wonderful Edinburg is, you're in for a treat.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 09:33 AM
Gayle

If you're walking across the bridge at night and wondering why the skyline of the city looks familiar to you, it was used in Disney's Peter Pan. A sight I'm sorry we missed was Greyfriar's where Greyfriar's Bobbie lay on his master's grave for 14 years.