Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

done all the touristy things in london....what next?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:01 PM
zoe

I have already been to london 4 times in the past 5 years and I have done all the touristy stuff. This time I will be in London for a week in late january so what shall i do? I have never experience london in the winter so is there a MUST DO in this season? I love walking around in london and strolling around shops. Can i still do that in the winter?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:07 PM
anon

Sounds like it's time to do responsible stuff. Get a job. Find someone and fall in love. Start a family. Put down roots.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:09 PM
zoe

Anon-
I have a full-time job it is called being a mother for a 4 month old boy. *smile* I already have found the love of my life aka HUSBAND!

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Ben Haines

What a splendid answer. London is excellent for walking, perhaps better in winter (with an overcoat) than in summer, as the light is more delicate. If you will e-mail me, I shall gladly send you my notes on walks in London, and on out of the way parts of London.

I wonder, are you getting your fill of theatre and music here ? That is, do you know that the newspaper kiosk in the airport arrival lounge sells the Time Out events magazine, with especially good theatre on the fringe and music in old churches.

Welcome back.

Ben Haines

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:24 PM
X

Have you gone on any of the guided walks, I think they are called pub walks? they cover history to mystery and they are alot of fun.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Lesli

Of course you can still walk around in winter, just bundle up! I did a London Walks "Undiscovered London" walk a couple of years ago in March, and despite chilly, drizzly weather, it was both interesting and well-attended. You might check their listings (there is a website) and see what sounds good to you.

Theater, of course, and/or the ballet would be wonderful whatever the weather. The Royal Opera House is lovely....

I find that no matter how many times I've been to a big city, there are smaller museums and galleries I still haven't seen, and/or special exhibits at museums I may have been to before.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 02:49 PM
David

I suggest a couple of day trips, or better yet if you don’t have to stay in London the whole time stay a few nights outside of London. I’ve been to Winchester, Cambridge, Ely & Norwich and would recommend a night in any of them.

Other locations that I’ve heard recommended but have not personally been to are: Bath, the Cotswolds, York, Lincoln & Oxford. Get outside of London and find out what England is really like.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Virginia

If you enjoy history and church architecture, get a copy of England's 1000 Best Churches and explore some of London't smaller churches like St. James Picadilly, St. Paul's Covent Garden, Temple Church or St. Bartholomew the Great. Lots of wonderful surprises there.

Consider daytrips out of London. Among my favorites are Brighton -- for the glorious over-the-top Pavillion and tea at a genteel seaside hotel -- and Cambridge -- for the beautiful college buildings, the bookstores, and the haunting American cemetery at Maddingly.

We leave next week for a months visit -- our sixth month-long trip in eight years, our 11th in all -- and never tire of going there. Have a great trip.

V.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Dottie

If you enjoy music, take in a "lunchtime" concerts at a church. There is one somewhere every day, and they are good - to - superb in quality.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Ann

Go to a football match.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Cyrano

I love London in January! or February, March, April, etc. Have you been to Greenwich? The Maritime Museum there is terrific. Take the boat one way and the light rail/tube the other.

On our last trip we finally got to the Highgate Cemetary--highly recommended--especially the guided tour side. I would recommend taking a taxi from the tube station and having him pick you up two hours later, to avoid climbing two long, steep hills to the cemetary.

The Bermondsey antiques market on Friday morning is always fun for us, and now accessible by tube. From there it is a short distance to Greenwich by tube/light rail.

We can also recommend the tube walks, but bundle up.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:13 AM
jules

you MUST buy the Time Out book
LONDON WALKS. There are about 30 different walks which are themed 'financial london' 'millionaires london' 'buried London' etc. They all feature little known places of interest from the mists of time right up to present day, and, of course, ensure you pass by pubs of interest (well, it wouldn't be a London walk if not! ) Have fun...and don't forget to bring a brolley!

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:53 PM
judy

Love London any time of year, but winter is my favorite time of all...I'm a winter girl at heart.

January is sale month in London and sales should still be on..try Harrods, they really do have great sales.

Go to Kew Gardens for the green houses..warm in winter and great plant viewing. I've gone there in summer too but then it's too hot inside to enjoy it.

Take a day trip to Oxford. The buses run every half hour from Victoria COACH station. The day return is very cheap and the ride up the motorway (approx 60 min) is an experience in UK traffic without driving yourself! Oxford is a lovely place to visit and the summer hoards of tourists are long gone. I believe school will be in session and the students' presence makes it all the more enjoyabe. In Oxford visit the Ashmolean Museum or the very eccentric Pitt-Rivers Museusm...truly a repository of strange stuff.

In London there is many a museum that gets left off the ususal tourist route: Kenwood House, Dulwich Picture Gallery, Musuem of Childhood or the Geffrye Musuem to name a few. Try artguide.org for a full listing of all UK musuems.

Having done all the ususal tourist stuff means you can also go back to a spot you really like and linger longer this time, maybe get a guided tour this time and go into more depth...like a specialty talk at a museum or church.

Just some ideas...hope this helps

Judy