Dolomities Italy

Jan 17th, 2002, 06:11 AM
K.L.

Dolomities Italy

I would like to visit Dolomities, Italy in Feb. Would you suggest any towns or cities to be based for the region? I'll be visit from Venice and I do not have a car. So any locations with good train/bus connection would be good. Any idea?

Jan 17th, 2002, 07:45 AM
ricahrd j vicek

Good morning, KL would suggest Cortina
, it is a fairly short rail/bus ride oug
of Venice and the scenery is fabulous.
Might have problems getting accomodations there that time of year
however might suggest D'Ampezzo, an
older hotel located within the town.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..

Jan 17th, 2002, 09:03 AM
GAC

Another good base from which to explore the Dolomites area is the city of Bolzano (Bozen in German), capital of the semi-autonomous Province of Sud Tirol (or Alto Adige in Italian). Bolzano has very agreeable hotels and restaurants, a couple of decent churches, and the remains of the famous prehistoric Ice Man in its Civic Museum. You can reach Bolzano from Venice in three hours by train (changing in Verona). There is also one direct train (EuroCity Tiepolo) leaving Venice at 13:23 and arriving Bolzano at 16:29. Fare is 26.08 Euros First Class and 18.90 Euros Second Class. From Bolzano, there is excellent public transportation by bus (SAD Lines, with its own web site www.sad.it) and train (www.trenitalia.it) to just about anywhere in the Dolomites region. However, many mountain passes will still be closed in February, so your possibilities will be limited somewhat. Cortina d'Ampezzo is MUCH more scenic, with gorgeous mountains surrounding it, but Bolzano is a real city, offering more to do and greater variety. Cortina's locals are entirely Italian-speaking (with a huge International presence); Bolzano has a mixed German and Italian population (but everyone speaks Italian and many English as well). From Bolzano, you can very easily visit (by frequent train) the cities of Trento to the south, Merano to the northwest, and Bressanone to the north. Buses go to the smaller towns and ski resorts in the mountain valleys.

Jan 17th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Mariarosa

Hi K.L.! I agree with the advice given by GAC and Richard! It depends on what you want to do. If you want to have a relaxing mountain-chalet vacation, then you need to base yourself in a small town. If you want to be able to do many different day trips and have a broader choice of food and shopping, then you need to base yourself in a city.

From Bolzano you can visit the Val gardena towns (Ortisei, S. Christina, and Selva) and Castelrotto. The Ice Man is cool, and you can visit Castel Roncolo - a small and plain castle that is one of the few open in the winter time. Bus connections from Bolzano can be found at - www.sii.bz.it

I stayed in Castelrotto last year and it is very cute, and it maintains its Ladin traditions. It's also very small, and best if you want to relax. It's 50 min away from Bolzano and 30 min from Ortisei. Another smaller town option is Ortisei, but beware, in February everyone staying in this area will be skiers!

Another major town in the area is Trento, which is 30 minutes south of Bolzano (towards Verona, where you might change trains coming from Venice). We stayed one night in Trento and it's a very nice town (a bit more atmospheric and smaller than Bolzano), with historical buildings and great food. There's good train and bus connections to Trento. The bus company that connects Trento to the smaller Dolomite towns in the area (Val di Fassa, Val di Fiemme, etc.) is Atesina - www.atesina.it.

I will be staying somewhere between Val di fassa and Val di Fiemme this upcoming February. The Cadogan guides have the most information on this area. Rough Guides has some info too.

Jan 18th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Rich

Agree with previous commentators. Be prepared for cold. I liked Merano, about 30 km outside of Bolzano by frequent train, in the summer. It was famous spa during the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Suggest you give a little more info about time you have available.