Dolomites take two...

Sep 9th, 2001, 11:08 PM
April

Dolomites take two...

I posted this question once, and it disappeared, so I'll try again. I will be spending next week in Carano Trento. I will have a rental car and plan on seeing Venice, Verona, and Bolzano. I'm not sure what else I should try to experience while there and am open to suggestions. This is my first trip to Italy and would appreciate your help!

Sep 10th, 2001, 02:30 AM
Steve James

April - your original post hasn't 'disappeared'. If you scroll down you will find it. It's currently about 150 down...

Sep 10th, 2001, 04:03 AM
Bill

Do you like to hike at all? Not too far from Bolzano is an area called Alpe di Siusi. Beautiful high meadows with well-maintained trails, and you can take a ski-lift up.

There are a good number of ski-lifts operating in the warm months, all through the Dolomites. It's a great way to get up to some fantastic views.

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:05 AM
April

Steve- I searched through everything once again and even ran a search on my subject and still did not find my original post, but thanks SO much for your assistance.

Bill- I am interested in the hikes and had actually heard of the Alpe di Siusi. Do you know if these trails need actual hiking boots, etc. or if your average walking shoes would do? Thanks!

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Bill

Most of the trails would be fine with decent walking shoes. Relatively flat, and where there is a stream or muddy area they have built a section of "board-walk" path. Get a trail map at any tourist-oriented store.

I don't know about this time of year, but the wildflowers were incredible in early July.

You must bring drinking water with you. As in the US, you can't trust mountain streams to be pure anymore.

BTW, check out the "Ice Man" in Bolzano.

Sep 10th, 2001, 11:38 AM
Dick

I would second Bill's recommendation to see the "Ice Man" while in Bolzano. For anyone with even the slightest interest in anthropology this is one of the most amazing exhibits anywhere on earth. The rest of the museum would be worthwhile even without him - with him, it is simply fantastic.

The Great Dolomites Road from Bolzano to Cortina is also a super day trip if you have the time and if the weather is good enough to allow some views.

Sep 11th, 2001, 06:59 AM
Steve James

Hello April,

I'll be happy to post a few suggestions for scenic drives and places to visit in the Dolomites, - but where exactly is Carano, April? The only one I can find is near Rome!

Steve

Sep 11th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Diane

We drove from Verona to Bolzano then crossed the Dolomites via the Passo Sella and made our way to Cortina, then down to Venice. It was an extraordinary drive on a gorgeous day in May. Total sensory over-load which ended on a vaporetto to our hotel in Venice as the sun set. I think it would be lovely to stay in one of those little mountain villages. Orteisi-St Ulrich has a good tourist info office where you can get lots of information about the area, sights, places to stay, etc.

Sep 13th, 2001, 12:30 PM
Steve the Guide

Around Dolomite Area, a really nice place is Misurina , by a lake. Up there are "Tre Cime Lavaredo" mountainne of the most beautiful peak of Dolomites.
In Misurina, nice HOtel is Grand Hotel Misurina. Only a thing. will be quite cold in end-September over there. Ciao.

Search this Thread