Dolomites or Cinque Terre in July?

Jun 12th, 2007, 07:12 AM
JES
Original Poster

Dolomites or Cinque Terre in July?

have only a night or 2 and will be coming from Lake Como. I know they are very different and I love ocean AND mountains. Can anyone weigh in?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jun 12th, 2007, 07:22 AM

JES,
A couple of things come to mind. First of all, where are you headed afterwards?
Right now, I would advise the Dolomites. They won't be as mobbed as Cinque Terre in July.
And plus they are gorgeous!
Save Cinque Terre for shoulder season when you will have it more to yourself.
Also, July in Italy is generally very hot, and the mountains will definitely provide respite from the heat.
Cheers,
Ellen
Jun 12th, 2007, 07:44 AM
JES
Original Poster

Thanks Ellen, good advice. I'm headed back to Milan afterwards to fly home.
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Wow...talk about apples & oranges. Actually, I'm always sounding like this in restaurants (waiter, should I have the tilapia or the beef stew?).

Anyway, I agree with Ellen. It's the right time of year for the mountains, and it's closer. Enjoy!
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Also, I find that little mountain town and villages Italy are more authentic, and less spoiled by tourism. Cinque Terre is charming but has adapted in some ways to tourism.
Mountain towns are the "real" Italy and also, very importantly, have pretty amazing cuisine - fresh wonderful cheeses, pastas, all made locally.
Ironically, I will also be in the Italian mountains in July, although over on the western side of the Alps (Aosta and Sestriere areas), escaping the heat!
Cheers,
Ellen
Jun 12th, 2007, 08:55 AM

Hello JES, another vote for the Dolomites. The cool and refreshing air, the absolutely beautuiful mountains, the difference in not being shoulder to shoulder with other tourists etc in my opinion makes the decision for the Dolomites one that you will not regret. Best wishes and enjoy your time in Italy!!
Jun 12th, 2007, 09:02 AM

Will you have a car? If so, the Dolomites would be my vote. Otherwise, it could take you a long time to get into the mountains, transferring from the train to the bus system.

I hope you can arrange to spend two nights there.
Jun 12th, 2007, 10:17 AM
JES
Original Poster

OK...you all talked me into it. The Dolomites it is! Yes, I will have a car. So what towns shouldn't I miss? Any cute, charming hotel or B&B recommendations? Thanks so much for your help!