Dolomites Hotel Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! My husand and I will be traveling to Italy in late August for two weeks. We'll begin at Lake Garda and the Dolomites. I've seen other reports about suggested areas in the Dolomites: Val Badia and Val Gardena, and some towns: Castel Rotto and Ortisei for instance.

Now we're looking for hotel suggestions in these towns. We will be traveling by car and may do some easy hikes - but hiking is not the focus of this trip.

thanx!

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 02:18 PM

In Sept. 2004 we started in Riva de Garda and then went on to Cortina in the Dolomites. The drive to Cortina was wonderful and the town is great. The hotel was Hotel de La Poste and we paid $225. It was a great location to see the magnificent Dolomites before heading on the St. Moritz, Switzerland.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
We vacationed in the Dolomites in '03, '05 and '06.
In 2003 we stayed in St. Christina (Val Gardena) at the Garni Ariston.
Very nice rooms, very good buffet breakfast, nice views from the room balcony and an excellent bakery across the street. Very convenient to all three towns. The three towns (Ortisei, St. Christina, Selva) are just a few minutes apart, so staying in any of the three towns will work. There is a cable car from Ortisei (Mont Seuc) that takes you up to the Seiser Alm. Gorgeous!
www.garniariston.com
www.alpedisiusi-seiseralm.com
www.val-gardena.com

In 2003 we went to Val Venosta (west of Merano) which was very nice, but was not your typical Dolomite scenery. We did find a lot to see in the area.
www.hotel-panorama-mals.it
www.vinschgau.suedtirol.com/it.html

Most recently, Oct. 2006, we stayed at the Ciasa Montanara, in La Villa, Val Badia. The scenery was magnificent!
Again, the three towns of Val Badia (Colfosco, Corvara, La Villa) are just a few miles apart. The Ciasa Montanara was fabulous. Very nice place, terrific views, huge buffet breakfast, and great views from the room balconies.
www.montanara.it
www.altabadia.org

A couple of terrific towns to visit based in Val Gardena or Val Badia are Bressanone/Brixen and Bruneck/Brunico.
www.brixen.org
www.bruneck.com

I hope this helps.

Paul
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
SRS

We went to the Dolomites in 2005 and stayed in Castelrotto. We stayed at Hotel Zum Wolf al Lupo (www.hotelwolf.it). It was a lovely place and I would recommend it. Our room had two windows - one looked straight onto the bell tower in the main square and the other looked onto nearby hillsides. Just lovely. They also had a great restaurant.

We were in the Dolomites for three days and we really enjoyed it. A very relaxing area. With a car, you'll be able to see a lot!

Have a great trip!
Sally
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi again,
In case you're interested, some of our Dolomite photos are at...
www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Paul
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:53 AM

Hi Kelly - I usually stay in Ortisei in Val Gardena - my favourite base for the area.

What kind of hotel/budget are you looking for? I've stayed 3 times at Villa Park - a comfortable family-run 3* pensione - and can recommend it.

www.hotelvillapark.com

Here's the complete Ortisei listing:

http://www.valgardena.it/download/ga...lrich_2007.pdf

If you want something more upmarket you might want to consider the Cavallino Bianco or Adler.

Here are some views:

http://www.ortisei.com/english/gallerie1.html

http://www.valgardena.it/?pagid=120

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your suggestions. We enjoyed looking at your photos and the specific hotel websites. After contacting a number of places to check availability, we have decided to stay in Castelrotto at the Hotel al Lupo (also known as zum Wolf). We'll use your suggestions on what to see and do while we are in that area for three nights.
Kelly
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Bookmarking