Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dolomites and Austria what time to visit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2022, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All,

I'm planning a honeymoon trip for me and my fiance to visit the Dolomites this summer. We want to stay in Santa Magdalena as our base and then explore Seceda and Cinque Torri with a few hiking day trips. Afterwards make our way to Austria to Salzburg and Hallstat visiting the Salzkammergut region.

I've read different articles online saying July can be one of the rainiest or wettest months (2+weeks of so rainfall) along with being the warmest in the Dolomites versus August or September?(This answer seems to vary) I'm no stranger to hiking in the rain as I live in the Pacific Northwest ( Oregon) so I'm used to Alpine environments. Although for the purposes of the trip I'd prefer better weather.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

Cheers..
Willem.
Old Apr 4th, 2022, 07:36 AM

Weather is always unpredictable in the Alps.
Neither Vilnoess Valley/Val di Funes nor Groeden Valley/Val Gardena or the Falzarego Pass area are particularly rainy in Summer (unlike Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut!).
In the second half of July, 2 weeks without a drop of rain are much more likely than 2 weeks of conntinuous rainfall.
In the mountan areas you mention, it will never get really hot, becous of the altitude. Things are different for towns down in the big valleys like Bolzano/Bozen or Trento.
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, that's very helpful
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by wilhelmb0973
Hello All,

I'm planning a honeymoon trip for me and my fiance to visit the Dolomites this summer. We want to stay in Santa Magdalena as our base and then explore Seceda and Cinque Torri with a few hiking day trips. Afterwards make our way to Austria to Salzburg and Hallstat visiting the Salzkammergut region.

I've read different articles online saying July can be one of the rainiest or wettest months (2+weeks of so rainfall) along with being the warmest in the Dolomites versus August or September?(This answer seems to vary) I'm no stranger to hiking in the rain as I live in the Pacific Northwest ( Oregon) so I'm used to Alpine environments. Although for the purposes of the trip I'd prefer better weather.

Would love to hear everyone's opinion!

Cheers..
Willem.
This area is absolutely magical and glorious in early December! The Advent festivities and Christmas markets are amazing. Check out the markets at Lake Wolfgang and Hallstatt and also explore the fun and crazy krampus events during the week of December 5-9. Lots of beautiful snow and winter hiking opportunities. This past December I spent 9 nights exploring the wonderful Christmas Market in the Dolomites - Lake Carezza is a must visit!

Trail between St. Gilgen and St. Wolfgang

Advent Ferry on Lake Wolfgang

December hiking in the Salzkammergut
Old Apr 5th, 2022, 04:19 PM

I was in the Dolomites from December 1 through 13, 2021 - The weather was perfect (no rain!) -- mostly blue skies -- one glorious snow day and temps in the 20's to 30's (I spent nights in the following places and made day trip to nearby towns -- Chiusa (2N), Soprabolzano (4 N), Merano (3N))

Bolzano

Lake Carezza

Sterzing/Vipiteno
Old Apr 6th, 2022, 02:27 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Great photos, KW, I loved Chiusa and Vipiteno, too. My DH would very much like to visit in cold weather, me not so much.
Old Apr 29th, 2022, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
Weather is always unpredictable in the Alps.
Neither Vilnoess Valley/Val di Funes nor Groeden Valley/Val Gardena or the Falzarego Pass area are particularly rainy in Summer (unlike Hallstatt and the Salzkammergut!)..
When would be the best time from June to September to go to Salzburgerland? Could be nice to know for a later occasion.