Dollar/Euro exchange shock!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get enough euros before you leave to last the first few days. You won't have to deal with ATMs while you are under exchange shock and jetlag. Get the shock over with.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM

....and praytell what's the big deal about dealing with an ATM even if jet lagged and whatever...I don't find it to be a problem.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Couldn't disagree more. Maybe $100 worth of € at most - any more is overkill. But even that is only for the super cautious. One can easily get € from an ATM in the arrival airport in seconds and save a lot on the exchange rate.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:49 AM

If you look at the exchange rate before you leave you won't be shocked when you arrive.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Sadly most people don't travel as much as some of us and the first few days can be confusing. Finding and using your first foreign ATM or telephone or even finding your driver can be difficult. But I'm sure they are all just as smart as the rest of us and will easily do their second ATM transaction.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:01 AM

If you think THIS exchange rate is shocking, wait until you hit the UK!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Boy, it really IS tough to use those ATM machines when you're jeglagged.

Just walking about 50 steps across the airport concourse, struggling to pull the card out of my money pouch, and arduously punching those numbers in is enough to exhaust me for DAYS.

Many people often ask me, "How DO you do it?"

I take lots of vitamins.

Then there's the complete and utter shock of it all -- finding out that I have to pay an extra penny for a Euro! It's complete madness, I tell you!

Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:08 AM

In my exhaustion of just thinking about this, I erroneously typed "jeglagged" instead of jetlagged.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Some seem to be making a big fuss over the exchange rate. On Nov. 15, 2004 I got 100 Euros at an ATM for $130.09. Maybe three dollars less than today.

BTW, 100 GBP were $186.21 at that time.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:10 AM

TravMimi,

I don't know if you're deliberately being scarey (and thus making a travel agent seem more necessary), but your argument is weird.

Finding an ATM is pretty easy -- the word "bank" is awfully ubiquitous. And after hitting the "English" button, European ATMs are pretty much like ATMs in the US. I can't image an adult would have trouble finding or using one, even after the unimaginable horrors of an international flight.

Like janisj, I get about $50 changed into local currency before I arrive to cover the first few coffees and/or taxis if necessary.

s
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:12 AM

I'm sorry to bring this up, but I hesitate to think what difficult times some people must have traveling in a foreign land when even finding an ATM in an airport is a major challenge that throws them into some sort of tizzy.

And who would go to Europe without having a pretty good idea what the exchange rate is? What "exhange shock"?
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

As a travel planner I'm just used to planning the "perfect trip" for people. I should have noted the post is meant for first time travelers or those who arrive in "odd" places or people making lots of connections with lots of luggage and kids.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:14 AM

I don't like relying on airport ATMs, not due to exchange "shock" or jetlag, but because there are often line ups. I like to have enough cash for that first taxi or train ride so that we can head straight for our hotel without any delays. As others have mentioned though, 100Euros is lots. I buy it at the downtown branch of my local bank, and get a reasonable rate considering the convienience.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Me, too.. I bring euro home to become my 'starter pack' for the next trip. I will wave to you in the ATM line as I pass by on my way into the city.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Everyone needs to do what they're comfortable with. I just ordered $2200 in euro to cover the rent - payable in full upon arrival - for our flat in Barcelona. I didn't think it would be possible for my husband and I to withdraw that much from ATMs between the time we arrived at the airport at 8 pm and when we arrived at the flat. With the bad exchange rate Bank of America charged me, I "lost" about $65. But the rental agency was going to charge a 4% fee for payment by credit card, which would be added to the 3% credit card fee...that's over $150 in fees, so I came out ahead. When I have costs like that, I just factor it all into the accomdation costs. So our three bedroom, two bath apartment now csots $283 a night instead of $275. Still not bad.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Maybe talking about "shock" and "exhaustion" like this helps you convince your clients that your service is more valuable.

I also help folks plan trips - but I try to save them money, not spend more
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:31 AM

If you are a Canadian, I think you will find that you are not saving anything by using an ATM in Europe as opposed to buying some Euros from your bank at home before you travel.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:36 AM

I took my first trip to Europe last summer - I had been to Japan a couple times for work, but I was never on my own and didn't have to make any decisions. On those trips, everything was taken care of, so this trip to Europe was really my first true experience with overseas travel.

We managed just fine. We landed in Munich with no Euros - just a few dollars in cash. There was an ATM very handy - actually happened to be pretty much next to the kiosk to buy train tickets into town, which also accepted credit cards.

I can see getting some euros ahead of time just to avoid that step as soon as you get off the plane or if you have to pay cash for a hotel right away. I wouldn't get a bunch though. ATMs were everywhere - we were practically tripping over them.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:45 AM

One more thing: When we were in Rome, the first THREE ATMs I stopped at wouldn't give me any money. I was becoming worried because it was memorial day at home, I didn't know if I could get bank customer service, etc. Turns out, they were all just out of money; it was a Monday morning, and I assume they had been heavily used over the weekend.

Another time (before online banking) we got in a hurry and were counting on being able to transfer funds between accounts at the airport ATM. Turns out it was out of order, we didn't have time to find another one, and as a result, a check bounced.

I'm just saying that ATMs run out of money, become out of order, etc. so I feel better if I have a bit of cash upon arrival.
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 08:57 AM

Someone once posted on a travel website that they arrived in Rome when the ATM service workers were on strike. Picture that when you say you can get money at the first ATM!

Last time I arrived in Europe, I had three ATM (debit) cards. Due to minor details my banks hadn't told me (like their calendar day ends at 4 AM, so the withdrawal I made in the U.S. the day before counted against my max), my first two cards didn't work. I was glad I had a third card, but I was more glad that I had about €200 in my money belt. I always bring back about that much from each trip so I have plenty of local currency when I arrive.

Every U.S. ATM card doesn't necessarily work in every ATM in Europe. If you haven't been there, and you don't know if your's do, it would be wise to have some Euro with you. Then, bring some home to start your next trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -