Search

Doge's Palace

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:30 PM
jenna

Doge's Palace

Has anyone taken the "secret itinerary" tour of the Doge's Palace in Venice? I reserved it but wonder what to expect. After taking this tour, is there anything else to do in Venice on a Sunday?

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 05:20 AM
DJ

Hubby & I took the tour last Sepember, and highly recommend it. It is a very informative tour on the history of the government of Venice as well as the Doge's Palace. You will have access to the palace that others will not, including Casanova's cell. We enjoyed it immensely.

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Julie

The most fun of Venice is walking and looking around. That's as available on Sunday as on any weekday. You might also take one of the water buses to the Lido or Torcello island to see the ancient church there and have lunch at one of the nice restaurants there, particularly the Locanda Cipriani if you go in warm weather.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 04:58 AM
elaine

jenna<BR>the only thing that's not available to you on a Sunday is visiting most churches, and you will find that many<BR>(but not all!) shops will be closed.<BR>I also vote for the Secret Itinerary, it was fascinating. Afterwards you still might want to do the regular audio tour of the Doge's Palace.<BR>Or afterwards catch the boat to Torcello as recommended above, and have a wonderful (and expensive) lunch at the Locanda--reserve in advance.<BR>There are also a couple of less-expensive restaurants on Torcello--I think one is called Trono di Attila.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Jennifer

Jenna, How did you go about reserving a spot on this tour? It sounds very interesting.

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Jenny

A suggestion for something else to do on Sunday March 31st is the annual 'Su i zo per i ponti', which is a race 'up and down all the bridges'. We were in Venice at this time last year, and happened upon this - our hotel told us about it. It was fun to follow the route (anyone can buy an entry ticket to walk round), and there were lots of dancers, folk groups, etc. in St Mark's Square too.<BR><BR>Worth checking out....<BR><BR>Hope that helps,<BR>Jenny

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:34 AM
kavey

Jenny, the 31st is Easter Sunday isn't it? We will be in Venice on that date and would love to hear more about that race.<BR><BR>Do you know of any sites I can look at or do you have any photos online you would be willing to share?<BR><BR>Thanks for the tip.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Mar 11th, 2002, 08:42 AM
jenna

Jennifer,<BR><BR>You have to call to reserve a spot. The numbers are 041.5224951 or 041.5209072 or 041.2411058. I got one number from www.venetia.it and when I called they said to try the other numbers if you want to book in advance. I don't remember which number is which. Thank you all for your help. I am leaving on Mar 18 and this site has been an immense help. I will post info when I return.<BR><BR>Jenna