Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does this sound like a good rate to you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Alex

<BR>I have been looking at hotels in London for next spring. The Tophams Belgravia is offering me a twin room with private bath and shower for 126 pounds a night. The rate also includes tax and a full English breakfast. I think this is a really good rate. Am I right? Should I go ahead an book it? Info from hotel indicates it is on Ebury street about a 3 minute walk from Victoria Station.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Greg

Alex,<BR><BR>Depends. I have never heard of that hotel, but for 126 GBP this better be one fancy place. We were just in London at the end of September and paid 55 GBP for a twin roon with a private bath + breakfast. It will be interesting to see the responses you get on this question. With tourism down and hotels empty, you should be able to find a better rate. Just my opinion. Have a good trip.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:00 AM
elaine

Greg<BR>where did you stay?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:12 AM
cdf

I looked it up on the web and it looks great, the location,I know,is great.My daughter stayed at the Great Russell and had a room with twin beds and breakfast for 127lbs a night...Belgravia is very residential, which is very nice, I don't think you have to walk far to get to the tube or stores..

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Greg

Elaine,<BR><BR>We stayed in Earl's Court at the Buosi Hotel. It wasn't fancy, but the neighborhood was good and the people who ran the place were friendly and helpful. That's usually what we look for when we travel because we prefer to spend our money on other things. Where have you stayed in London? <BR><BR>Greg

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Maira

I am staying at the Victoria Inn for 65 pounds a night, a twin room with private bath and a continental English breakfast (not fond of the full English breakfast...). About 10 minutes from Victoria Station off Belgrave Road, includes taxes. For what I read on this forum, location is excellent, clean, comfortable, I did spoke with a staff member who was very courteous, so was their e-mail correspondence. I'll post more upon return (Feb trip). I'll be going to Paris from there, so we'll see how it goes. You can inquiry for rates at 1-800-537-8483 (London Town discount agency). The website is http://www.victoriainn.co.uk

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 08:45 AM
Maira

Alex, just in case, by twin room I am referring to two (2) twin beds (sister and I), not a single twin room.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 09:47 AM
bettyk

Spring rates will definitely be higher than the current winter rates which are quite cheap. About a month ago, I booked 2 rooms for next Spring at the Park International Hotel thru their website for 89 Pounds (Superior Double). I recently checked and the rooms are now going for 129 Pounds. Check out the discount hotel sites such as http://www.hotel-london.co.uk. I think you may be able to do better than 126 Pounds per night, depending on where you want to stay.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 12:57 PM
sonia

We got a great price for 4* hotel from Londontown.com -- you enter type of hotel and your dates, and they come back with a list of what's available. We were very pleased with the service, would use it again in a minute. (We stayed at the Millenium Baileys in Gloucester Road for 60 pounds/night, plus tax. Excellent deal.)

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Judi

We also used Londontown.com for our one night stay in London last week and were also pleased with them. We stayed at the Millenium Gloucester for GBP 85 including tax. It was a very nice hotel but not as charming as the Mill. Baileys.(There was no deal for that hotel at the time I booked.) The restaurant attached to the Millenium Baileys, Olives, is very nice. Both are very close to Gloucester Station. Enjoy your trip!

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:34 PM
cathy

http://www.smoothhound.co.uk/london-south-west.html<BR><BR>Check out this link to smoothhound's site for Topham's, to see if you can get a better rate. Or you may be tempted by other hotels listed here at more reasonable prices. I think Topham's is a 3 star and there are some even better deals for 4 star hotels nearby, like the Willett (pay 3 nights, get 4th free) etc.(http://www.willett-hotel.com/offers.html)