Reload this Page >

Anyone have a recipe for Gluhwein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 08:57 AM
Bob

Think I've got the spelling right. I tried it at the Christmas market in Brugge on Saturday and liked it. Is it just a red wine warmed-up, or is there more to it?

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 11:51 AM
s

Bob, <BR>That stuff's addictive, no? Anyway, folks in my family played around w/various recipes, and we finally do this: heat red wine, add sugar, add a cinnamon stick. <BR> <BR>After a few tries, you're sure to hit on one that is *just right.* <BR> <BR>s

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 11:51 AM
elvira

Okay, here's the recipe website<BR>http://beveragerecipe.com/AZ/Glhwin.asp

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 12:05 PM
Paulo

There must be dozens of recepies of Glühwein. The basic ingredients are red wine, sugar, an orange, cloves and a cinnamon stick. Instead of sugar, one may use honey. Instead of an organe, one may use lemmons or both. Some recepies call for orange/lemmon juice + rind, other for slices. Some use cinnamon powder (which I don't like because it usually clouds the wine). Some recepies call for some water to boil ingredients before mixing the wine. One may also brown the sugar some before adding the other ingredients. Some other recepies ... you may invent your own!<BR><BR>Though I lived in the US, I never worried if I was using sugar-cane or beetroot sugar. The former is much sweeter. On what follows bellow you'll have to dose it accordingly or to your taste. As you'll note, one can hardly say I dominate English cooking term <BR><BR>1 lt strong red wine;<BR>4 table spoons sugar;<BR>1 orange, sliced with its rind; <BR>5 cloves;<BR>1 stick cinnamon;<BR><BR>Pour the wine over the sugar and add the orange slices and spices. Use medium heat to take the wine to the onset of simmering (it shouldn't boil). Turn the heat down to low and let it "work" for another 15-20 minues. Before serving, take the cloves out. <BR><BR>Not necessarily the above will taste "right" for you ... you'll have to discover what's "wrong" (too sweet, not sour enough, too much taste of cinnamon, etc) and "fix" it next time up ... that's one of the joys of cooking <BR><BR>Paulo<BR>

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 04:48 AM
Kavey

This sounds like what we called Mulled Wine in the UK. <BR> <BR>You can buy sachets containing all the ingredients except the sugar (a good mix of spices) and then you just add the sachet to the pan as you heat the wine... <BR> <BR>If you cant find gluhwein recipes on the net search for Mulled Wine recipes. <BR> <BR> <BR>Kavey <BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 06:04 AM
Lesley

the Austrians make a gluhwein tea bag which you pop into the hot wine and sugar. It's called Gluhfix. (No honestly, it's just herbs!)

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 10:16 AM
Bob

Amazing information - - thanks so much!! Can you help with pronounciation now? Does it sound something like glu - VINE?

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Bob

I'm topping this in response to the current question about gluhwein.

Old Nov 29th, 2001, 01:35 PM
jahoulih

In response to the question about pronunciation, the vowel in the first syllable (which should have an umlaut over it, or else be spelled "ue")doesn't really exist in English, but it's like the French "u" only longer. A fairly close English approximation would be "glee-vine," with slightly more stress on the "glee."