Does this Kemwel quote sound right?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I previously posted, we want to rent a car for around 5 weeks and drive around England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland. We know the cost of the ferry to and from Ireland is expemsive but my DH is in charge of handling all that. He just spoke with Kemwel (Maine) and was quoted a rate for a Compact car like a VW Golf for 30 days for a total of $1,460 for a Zero Deductible rental. To take the car to Ireland would be an extra $70.00. This was from Kemwel and using National for the car. We do not know anything about rentals in the UK and Ireland. Does this sound about right?

Has anyone had good or bad experiences using National and Kemwel?

Thank you for any information you can provide.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM

Have you looked at sites such as Hertz to see what an equivalent car would rent for during the same time frame? It's hard to compare rental costs without knowing: 1) whether your car is manual or automatic and 2) what dates the rental is for.
I could tell you that based our Hertz car rental in May (economy automatic), your rate seems good, but it all depends on the two above-mentioned factors.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM

national and alamo are the same in the UK...

i have rented from both in UK and they are fine....the price sounds good to me. i think the zero deductible may be adding a great deal to the price... car rentals are way up this year...

get a comparison price from auto europe.... check hertz and avis...
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 01:18 PM

Sounds right to me---less than $50/day with coverage.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM

National UK are reasonable but wouldn't go near their Irish operation. It has been noted on other forums that Hiring from the UK and paying the extra is cheaper for a couple of weeks plus than renting for the same period over here. Just make sure and confirm with National that the quote is valid and ALL inclusive.
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 06:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Does it include zero deductible in Ireland -- That would be very (<B>VERY</B unusual . . .
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I meant it would be unusual at that price --ins is high in Ireland . . .

Also, does it include dropoff in Ireland?
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 06:20 AM

You might want to check http://www.economycarrentals.com... I just looked for comparison and they are quoting essentially the same price but for 37 days. Their rates include a zero CDW but no idea about Ireland.

But rather than pay for 2 ferry trips with the car from England why not arrange things so you finish up your trip in Ireland and rent a car while you're there. I can't imagine 2 ferry trips would be cheap...
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM

Renting a car in the UK means that the car is insured by a UK insurance broker for coverage in Ireland at the $70 or equivalent price/charge. It is cheaper to hire a car in the UK and pay 2way ferries rather than hire in Ireland and pay the almost extortionate rates for Irish car insurance loaded onto the Republic's hire rates. Ferries should be booked at least 28 days in advance but no more than 60 days to get sale prices. Check Stena line low fares finder in the top left menu on their page.
http://www.stenaline.ie/pib/EFPLowFa...&sessionTest=Y
Old Jul 26th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for all the helpful info. We are still in the planning stages and need all the help we can get. We are planning on traveling around May, 2012 so hopefully we will get is figured out by then.