Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does the order of this itinerary 'work"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ballyvaughan
Cashel
Kenmare
Killarney
Dingle
Bunratty

Thanks so much!
Carrie
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 02:26 PM

Carrie,

flying in and out of SNN right?

By going to Ballyvaughan first, then Cashel (County Tipperary right?), you'll be backtrcking, which I hate to do. How about: Cashel, then Kenmare, skip Killarney (except to drive through and you can stop for a while if you like) on the way to Dingle; then spend time in Ballyvaughan, with a last night in Bunratty.

Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. I've heard that we'll be doing backtracking with this itinerary from others too. A TA arranged the route for us. I'm sure there must have been some reason. Will there be a lot of backtracking? Guess I don't mind that too much as long as it isn't a huge amount of the same thing.
Thanks
Carrie
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM

Do a google search for a map of Ireland. You'll see that from Shannon you go Northwest to Ballyvaughn, then to get to Cashel, you'll basically go back exactly the way you came through Shannon, Southeast to Cashel. It makes no sense to do this.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 04:57 PM

Carrie, There are many ways to get from point A to B in Ireland. You can get from Ballyvaughan to Cashel without backtracking. I am thinking of the delightful Lough Derg drive and then continuing south to Cashel through the Silvermine Mountains and more rural countryside.

Assuming you will be going directly from Shannon Airport to Ballyvaughan (probably with a stop off at the Cliffs of Moher?) on your journey down to Cashel you could loop around through Kinvara, Gort and back down to Ennis. The only portion of the road that you would traverse twice would be from Ennis to the Shannon area. That will take maybe half an hour. Otherwise you will be on completely different roads.

Now you have two different routes from Ballyvaughan to Cashel that do not backtrack (except for half an hour on the second).

Fodor's forum is full of many kinds of advice from many different sorts of people.

It would help to know your full schedule including sightseeing before deciding if something will work. Would you care to share it?

P.S. Sometimes in Ireland if you only take the main roads there is absolutely no choice but to backtrack. It depends entirely on where you are in Ireland and whether or not you choose to take secondary roads and routes.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Irish Eyes,
Thank you for the information. Below is the itinerary a reputable on-line Ireland agent came up with. We really don't have any definite plans. My mom wants to see lots of entertainment, shows, PUBS, scenery. I paid for the itinerary and a list of activities we might be interested in. I could have gone further and paid for the driving directions and more things, but I do enjoy checking into some things on my own. In fact, I usually do all the arranging, but we didn't decide to go on this trip until recently. I'm fairly busy and needed some direction and ideas. So, that's the itinerary. Actually, I like the looks of it, but several people have asked why it was arranged in that order. So, of course I'm a bit concerned. But it's not as if there's hours upon hours of driving between these destinations. So thanks again for all your ideas and suggestions.

8-1,2 & 8-3: Ballyvaughan

8-4 & 8-5: Cashel

8-6, 8-7 & 8-8: Kenmare

8-9: Killarney

8-10, 8-11 & 8-12: Dingle

8-13: Bunratty

Carrie
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 09:44 PM
sss

Hey Carrie, I would not have any concerns about your trip. I wish I were going with you! I like Irish Eyes idea of Lough Derg. It is a very pretty drive that few tourists see. You have plenty of scenery and pubs for your mom. What shows are you seeing?
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:12 AM

I stand corrected.

IrishEyes,

thanks not only for helping the original poster, but for opening my eyes to a great way of solving the backtracking problem.

I have to admit my tiny little brain did not consider making a nice loop as you suggested, instead of a straight beeline for the next destination.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:14 PM

beach dweller,

If you have never done the Lough Derg drive it would naturally never have occured to you. From your email address you may be a male. As you know men and women see things differently. The old Mars and Venus thing. I think perhaps a man would try to make a beeline on the shortest route available. I tend to think in a more circular pattern. I have been accused of being too detail oriented but in some cases that is a plus.

Anyway now Carrie has two routes to take to her destination that won't backtrack. That is the important thing.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Carrie,

Maybe your travel agent routed you the way he did because there is a bank holiday that takes place while you are there. Could that be the reason? Ask him. Bank holidays can be tricky to work around especially in August.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Irish Eyes,

are you a psychic? ;-)

Yes, I am a very typical male--one task, blinding focus on that task, a logical order strictly imposed to accomplish the (usually) narrow and limited task I've set.

Fortunately, I have a wonderful wife whose imagination and complexities offset my single-mindedness.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 11:11 AM

Hi Carrie:

The itinerary you have will work fine, but I wouldn't waste the time moving from Kenmare to Killarney. They are only 45 minutes apart and packing up to move 45 minutes doesn't make sense to me. I would put another night in Kenmare and pick one day for a nice (but kind of long) day trip down to Mizen.

I'm not sure the level of activity you and your companions enjoy but one thing that I highly recommend near Kenmare is a trip out to the Skellig islands. To catch the boat, you'll need an early start. It's about 1:45 to Portmagee which has better (quicker) service than Caherdaniel. We went with Joe Roddy and it was an amzing trip. Watch the weather for what you think will be the best day and take the trip. The climb up the rock is tiring but you have plenty of time so there is no need to hurry. There is nothing else quite like the Skelligs. My wife, who is by no means a hiker, did it and managed fine. Again, it's a nice workout though.

Beware, your schedule puts you in Cahel then Kenmare for the bank holiday. Be sure to have rooms booked if the TA didn't do that for you.

Starting with Ballyvaughan with three days, if you are tired, there is no real reason to visit the cliffs the 1st day unless you know you have fantastic weather and you know you won't get it again. But that's up to you. There is a ton of construction going on there these days and currently you can't reach O'Brien's tower. The Jury is still out on whether or not it will be an improvement. It will of course, be more expensive in the very near futire.

On the Ballyvaughan to Cashel drive, you probably would not want to do the entire Lough Derg drive which is about 100 miles on it's own. Instead of heading back into Ennis, south of Gort take the R461 to Scariff and then follow the coast down. When you hit Killaloe, cross to Ballina and perhaps head up the shore a bit.

In Cashel, make the short drive to Cahir to visit Cahir Castle, one of the most well restored and kept up castles in Ireland. Also visit the Swiss Cottage. There is a beatiful walk between the two of about 2k.

I have to run, but keep asking questions about things to do in the area and don't be sure you got the best advice from the TA. You'll get a lot of great help here.

Bill
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Carrie,

Not all travel agents are created equal. Some of them complete an online course about Ireland but have never been there before. Others may have been on a familiarization trip or two. Some know Ireland well and are very competent. The advice you received will depend entirely on your travel agents credentials and knowledge.

I wouldn't be surprised if the TA had a lot more info than you have posted here since we had to dig to find out more. You mention that you like the itinerary so what is the problem? If you and your mom like it and it fits your travel style, that is the important thing.

Everyone here has their own travel style and it may not mesh with yours. We are all different. It is important to take the advice here with a grain of salt and to be able to sift through it to find the info that is valuable to you personally. That is the fun of this forum. Many different personalities, many different opinions, many different suggestions.

Perhaps you will tell us how your trip works out when you return and whether you were happy with your TA's advice or not.

Do you have reservations yet? That is important. How old is your mom? That will impact on sightseeing and activities.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:33 PM

Carrie, Are you back yet? I am wondering how your trip turned out. Was it a success? How would you rate your travel agent?