Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does the Athens Metro go to the Airport now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2004, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm off to Greece next week and haven't been there since 2001. Does anyone know if I can get to downtown Athens by the Metro from the Airport? I know that plans called for the airport to be accessible by train or metro by the Olympics, but we know, the best-laid plans often go astray . . .
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:02 PM

HenryFlower:
No the metro is not finished to the airport yet and will not be by the Olympics. You can take an express bus (see previous postings for instructions) or you can take a cab, which cost us 22 euros two weeks ago. The meter read 14 euros but he charged us extra since it was a radio call (from our hotel to the airport). I knew it shouldn't have cost 7 more euros for that but we were just happy to get to the airport in good time and didn't feel like arguing. Have a great time and if you haven't booked a hotel in Athens yet we stayed at the Amazon Hotel halfway between Syntagma and the Plaka. The room was small but had very recently been renovated - new furniture, new bathroom appliances, very clean, quiet with the new windows and helpful front desk staff. We paid 78 euros (without breakfast) and could walk everywhere and felt very safe and comfortable. Do not stay at the Hotel Nafsika near Omonia Square - it was a dive and we felt very uneasy with the area, it was also overpriced at 75 euros!! We spent three weeks in Greece, visited Crete, Santorini, Folegandros, Naxos, Mykonos, Delphi and Meteora, and Athens. We didn't prebook anything and that worked out very well. Thanks to everyone who encouraged us to be flexible. Once I catch up on everything at home (including doing my income tax) I will post more about our trip. In the meantime, if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I have read that the Metro train to the Airport is in it's trial stage, that the technicians are working out the "bugs." It it's true that means it will be up and running and open to the public soon. I have no way of verifying this information, but one can hope!
Old Jun 6th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Much thanks to both of you. I'll let you know if the Metro is running after I've returned; maybe we'll get to ride on a "trial run." Judylynn, your trip sounds wonderful! Unfortunately, we won't be able to stay as long as you did; we'll be there for eight nights. We've already got reservations at the Attalos Hotel, which I've not stayed at before, but I've heard a lot of good reviews. We've also booked George Kokkotos to drive us out to Sounion one evening. Even though I lived in Greece for a couple of years as a teenager, I never got out there, so I'm looking forward to it very much. Staying on Sifnos for a couple of nights and then playing it by ear for a few as well. Again, thanks!
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:26 AM

the connection to the airport will be ready in about mid-july. for more information check at www.ametro.gr
Old Jun 7th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Panoulis. Those are useful web pages which I had not yet seen.