Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does someone know anything about Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 04:44 AM
Rocco

I've never been to Europe before and am thinking of visiting Germany - it's the biggest country -can anyone tell me which parts of Germany are safe and what <BR>hygenic conditions are like. What precautions should I take and is it easy to get by with the natives in English? Any <BR>advice is welcome. Thanks <BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:34 AM
Lee

Rocco: Assuming that you are a US resident, you'll find it to be the same as well as different from the USA. <BR> <BR>I lived in Frankfurt while working there for about three years. Here are some thoughts on Germany: <BR> <BR>Very formal. People will greet you in the moring and say hello and goodbye when entering/leaving a shop, restaurant, etc. You wouldn't use an elder's first name until he uses your first. Getting a check in a restaurant requires your request, leaving a tip is optional and should be a rather small amount. Don't whip out a 100 DM note to pay a 15 DM bill, you'll be a major capitalist. <BR> <BR>You don't leave your car idling unless in a traffic jam, stop light or other good reason. Driving on the autobahn is structured, no passing on the right and slower traffic moves left. Don't run out of gas, either. <BR> <BR>The water is safe to drink and normally the country is very clean. You won't see much litter. You will see people washing steps and sweeping sidewalks daily. Requesting a room with a bath & WC is necessary if that's what you need. <BR> <BR>Stores are typically not open around the clock. Some bigger ones in big cities only. Eating in restaurants other than at normal meal times is usually not done. Stores are usually not open on Sunday and all day on Saturday only on the first Saturday of the month unless they provide special services (meals, etc.). <BR> <BR>During my time living there and on two subsequent visits, I did not feel in any danger at any time. Be aware of pickpockets in cities, but not much violent crime. <BR> <BR>Pick up some words in German. Greetings and some basic words, including numbers would help. All young people know English and many older folks know some. They will be more helpful if you are courteous and at least attempt some words in German. <BR> <BR>The former East Germany is a little behind the West, but it's catching up fast in most places. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:38 AM
Lee

Rocco: Whoops! That slower traffic moves RIGHT on the autobahn. I need a proof reader sometimes. <BR> <BR>Lastly, Germany is a truly unique and beautiful country. Take the time to explore it and do so with an open mind, it's not the United States.

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 05:42 AM
Rocco

Thanks for all that information, as I'll be only staying 5 days I will not have time to learn any local languages. They sure have some strange opening hours! <BR>Will not head east as this is the former Communixt part! They must be reeducating and rebuilding here.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 02:56 AM
Rachel

Rocco, <BR>You may be best avoiding Germany (and Europe) With your attitudes and judging by the messages you have posted now and previously you will end up offending people, perhaps it is best you stay in America. Germany (and Europe) are indeed not the United States. If you and your views are those of the average american (which I hope dearly they are not) then that is Europes distinct advantage not to be like the US.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 03:26 AM
Sjoerd

TROLL alert! <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 05:13 AM
jez

..and it's by Madonna's son! By, they start early these days