Does anyone like Brussels?

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone like Brussels?

Our flight arrives in Brussels around 10:30 AM, and we're trying to decide whether to spend the balance of Day 1 of our early October vacation there, or to move immediately on to Brugges, where we'll be staying for 3 nights. Realizing that many here have expressed a rather ho-hum attitude toward the Belgian Capital, there must be some admireres.

If you had half a day, and wanted to not stray too far in order to return to the train for Brugges, what would you see and do? Any recommendations for lunch or dinner?

Can someone tell me if there are lockers available at the Brussel Centraal rail station, where we can store our luggae for the day?

Or would you go immediately to Brugges?

Thanks
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:29 AM

Brussels is well worth a day. It has some lovely things...
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM

I would certainly see the Grand Place, and I am one of those who steers people away from Brussels to other Belgian destinations (although I also steer them from Brugge in favor of Antwerpen and Gent).

Despite the very understandable advice not to eat near the Grand Place, I traced down a good meal at this restaurant a stone's throw from the Grand Place, Brasserie Roue d'Or

http://www.qype.co.uk/place/158930-B...-dOr-Bruxelles

But I would just play it by here. If it's rainy and awful, go to Brugge and day trip back.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:44 AM

Brussels is definitely worth a day. Must sees are I suppose the Grand Place and Manneke Pis. But just wandering around is interesting too.
There are plenty of good restaurants and cafes near the Grand Place.
You can store your bags at Brussel Centraal.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:47 AM

PS I so liked the dish my husband ordered of Jarret d'agneau à la graine de moutarde, I've been trying to figure out to make it ever since.

I would skip the Mannikin pis.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 03:48 AM

Memorable place for dinner in Brussels: the Belga Queen.
http://www.belgaqueen.be/
Very good food, fabulous setting (very modern furnishings in a very ornate old bank building), cool vibe. Make sure to go to the washroom, with the stalls that appear to have clear-glass doors (don't worry, they do turn opaque when closed).
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:17 AM

Well, Zeppole, I agree he's not much, but since he's just round the corner from Grand Place there is no harm in having a look at the "wee" fellow.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:22 AM

I think it rots the brain. However, Belgium -- and perhaps Brussels in particular -- is notorious for such oddities. It's distinctively Belgian that's for sure.

But give me David any day.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:39 AM

Great pun, hetismij! Also if you are looking for a gag gift, the shops that line the street have the manequin in every conceivable form (cork screws, garden fountains, bottle corks, etc.)

Don't miss the Grand Place. There is a museum there with costumes for the little boy, gifts from all over the world. He is even dressed in one or the other for special occasions.

St. Michael's, not far from the station is worth a look.

There is a palace with great gardens in Brussels.

There is a pedestrian mall (galleries something or other) with a glass ceiling and ironwork that is quite impressive. Personally, I never could afford any of the things in the shops, but it was fun looking.

Someone recently mentioned the Sunday morning market which was an interesting hodge podge of stuff. I do have a little pitcher I bought there, probably worth nothing except to me and my memories. It's on a kitchen shelf and probably will get tossed when my heirs have to shovel through my accumulation.

Of course, Belgian chocolates are great. (I don't really have a discriminating palate and chocolate is chocolate. I'll eat it in any form after breakfast. I will say chocolate croissants, chocolate chip pancakes, etc. are gag inducing as far as I am concerned.) I was impressed with all the pretty shapes the chocolates came in.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:41 AM

Belgian chocolate is the best in the world. I quite like chocolate croissant.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 04:51 AM

I would agree with the Grand Place and we HAD a meal there which was quite tasty, nicely presented, and it made for a relaxing stop after having done a city tour.

I like the chocolate, too, but it's definitely a 'taste' which may or may not to be everyone's liking but get real..who the Hell cares? You're IN Brussels and yes it is worth at least 1/2 a day IMO.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:07 AM

We spent 3/4 of a day in Brussels a few years ago (we missed our connecting flight in Brussels and had to stay the night) and had a nice time. I wouldn't want to spend too much time there, but there certainly was enough to do to fill up our day. We just kind of wandered around the city a bit, made some chocolate and lace purchases and ate at some decent restaurants.

Tracy
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:08 AM

I love Brussels, all the more so because everyone seems to want to get out of it as soon as possible. I think it has some of the best food/chefs in all of Europe.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:41 AM

I am back after googling Brussels to be more specific about sites I mentioned earlier.

The museum with the little boy costumes is in the civic museum (stadhuis/musee communal). Besides the costumes, there are quite a few other exhibits of interest.

It is the Galeries St. Hubert which I described earlier. Just north of the Grand Place.

The palace with gardens is at Laeken. Google "Laeken palace".

The website http://www.planetware.com/brussels was well set up and interesting. Also much on other places in Belgium.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:52 AM

Going to Waterloo is another idea. It was our most memorable time in Belguim
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 05:59 PM

Hi, I think Brussels is worth a long weekend. There is quite a bit to see and do. Most people don't have a long enough vacation to do it justice though. It also depends on your interests. The medieval part is comparatively small although stunning, and I think many visitors in Europe are focussed on the medieval rather than other architectural styles like Art Nouveau or even 19th C. (like the Galeries St Hubert, which IMO is really pretty). Brussels also has a number of neighbourhoods (think interesting cafes) which most visitors don't have time to discover. Would I prioritise it over Bruges, Ghent or Antwerpen? Again, it depends on what you want - if you want the medieval experience (Bruges, Ghent), I'd say no. If you want shopping (Antwerp), I'd say no. But in itself, yes, it is an interesting city.
Lavandula
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
One year, I took the train from Paris as a day trip. I wandered around, lunched at a bistro with seating outside to enjoy the passing parade before taking the train back.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 06:53 PM

By the way, yes, there are lockers and left luggage at Central:

http://hari.b-holding.be/infsta/Info...1000215&Lang=3

Lavandula
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful information, thanks to everyone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -