Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know these hotels in Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 11:20 AM
First Timer

Going to a conference and must choose among these four options. Any opinions?<BR><BR>Croce di Malta - 98 rooms - in a more quiet area - rack rate 268<BR> <BR>Lorenzo il Magnifico - 30 rooms - close to trade and conf ctr - rr 260<BR> <BR>Sofitel - 84 rooms - central location - modernish chain - rr 326<BR> <BR>Vivahotel Laurus - 59 rooms - only one mentioned on Fodors (just in passing, but in a positive way) - part of Best Western - rr 300<BR> <BR>Thanks in advance for any tips!<BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Eye Spy

Out of these 4, I'd probably opt for the Croce di Malta since it's close to Santa Maria Novella. Lorenzo Il Magnifico is simply a bit far (unless you need to be in that area). If these are the per night rates, you could do much better! Like the Savoy or even the Westin Excelsior! If you have the choice, do more hotel shopping.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:07 PM
FT

Thank you so much for the quick reply. Great info!

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 04:17 PM
FT

Gosh, Eye Spy, went back to my notes garnered from the hotel websites, and realized I had assumed just the opposite info! Lorenzo il Magnifico said it was close to the trade and conference center, while Croce di Malta said it was in a quiet area a short walk from major sites. It's hard to figure out reality from advertisements! Now I'm questioning my &quot;short list&quot; altogether! <BR>The conference rates for all the 4* hotels will be EU 210, but I included the posted rates for comparisons. Others included: Bernini, Brunelleschi, Executive, Michelangelo, Residence Ricasoli, and Roma.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Eye Spy

Well the good thing about Firenze is that you don't have to walk that far to get just about anywhere of importance. I'd try the Bernini (it's right by the Uffizi) and is nice; try the Brunelleschi (although the rooms can be generic; it's still a great hotel, though and the location on via dei Calzaiuoli is fantastic). I've heard good things about the Roma too (right across from Santa Maria Novella church) and am sure you'd like that too. I'm not too thrilled with the pictures of the rooms for the Executive. What do you think? I'll check the thread on Tuesday morning, Jan. 14th.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:18 PM
John G

Sorry, Eye Spy, but I have stayed at the Savoy in Repubblica and a room is at least $700 a night. If you are getting a room there under $300, please, please, tell me your secret.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:16 AM
Eye Spy

A friend of mine stayed at The Savoy in October. For his Single Room (Executive as they call it which means deluxe as opposed to classic), he paid EU320/night. Doubles go for about EU420/night. Low season at the Westin Excelsior can run about $335/night for a single deluxe which isn't that bad considering it's the Westin. Doubles at the Berchielli which is a great hotel can range from EU185 to

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Eye Spy

(continued from above: I apologize for pressing the wrong key!). A friend of mine stayed at The Savoy in October. For his Single<BR> Room (Executive as they call it which means deluxe as opposed to classic), he<BR> paid EU320/night. Doubles go for about EU420/night. Low season at the Westin<BR> Excelsior can run about $335/night for a single deluxe which isn't that bad<BR> considering it's the Westin. Doubles at the Berchielli which is a great hotel can<BR> range from EU185 to EU300, and my point was that First Timer was quoting in the mid 200's for a room and I know there are better hotels for the same price (give or take) he probably would prefer right in the 'centro storico' but he did NOT mention the dates during which he would be in Florence.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:41 AM
Italyexpert

I would choose the Sofitel over the others you mentioned. It's well located and looks a nice hotel from the outside.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:01 PM
FT

Due to other conference-related issues, we're down to Croce di Malta, Sofitel, or Bernini. But all should be available for EU 210. I'll let you know which works out!<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Eye Spy

FT: you'll like the Bernini or the Croce di Malta. At the Bernini you can sneak out late at night and see the Piazza della Signoria practically empty; at the Croce di Malta, sneak into Santa Maria Novella church when it's open and be sure to look at the Tornabuoni chapel with the &quot;Life of St. Anne&quot; fresco cycle by Ghirlandaio or the &quot;Scenes from the Life of St. Philip&quot; fresco cycle by Filippino Lippi in the Strozzi Chapel. You will be awestruck! All the same, you're going to like the hotels so have a great trip and let us know how it turned out! Try to find the tortoise peeking out from under the obelisk in Piazza Santa Maria Novella.