Advice on these Florence hotels please!

Nov 28th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Advice on these Florence hotels please!

Hi again. I did a search on these hotels in Florence for my upcoming 50th birthday next May. If anyone has stayed there or has any any information on any I would be very grateful. Here are the hotels I am considering:

- Pallazo Niccolino al Duomo
- Hotel Aprile
- J and J Hotel
- Hotel della Signoria
- Hotel de La Ville
- Hotel Anglo American
- Antica Dimora Firenze
- Hotel Pierre

Thanks a lot in advance

Teresa
Nov 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM

Where did you get the list?
You will get better answers if you ask open questions. What type of hotel do you want?
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

I didn't get a list, where did you get that from?. I have done a search on Florence hotels and these are the ones I am interested in.
Is my post so vague to you? I don't think so, I think it's clear!! I ask if anyone has stayed in any of these hotels to please tell what he /she thinks of it.
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I stayed in Antica Dimora Firenze for a couple of nights in March of this year.

Positives:
Convenient location, a few blocks from Accademia, Archeological Museum;
Large, nicely furnished rooms

Negatives:
Scratchy, cotton waffle towels, not terry cloth;
Staff less than helpful in booking Uffizi tickets;
No in-room control over heating/cooling

I never got the chance to try the breakfast, so I've no idea whether it's good.
Nov 28th, 2005, 02:52 PM

Tere,

I understand your reasons to post a list, since you were getting few suggestions when you enquired about charming hotels in Florence.

It will be easier to figure out what you meant by charming, as well as your price range.

Of the hotels you mentioned, I've stayed at the De La Ville. Nice hotel, clean, generous buffet breakfast. The standard twin, at least mine, wasn't really spacious, but it wasn't cramped either. Location, at Via Torbabuoni, is top notch. All the designers' stores are a few steps from the hotel, as well as nice restaurants, and a great pastry shop. You'll be walking distance from the Duomo, the Arno river (quite close, in fact), and the Ufizzi. I didn't walk to the Accademia this time, so, I can't tell you how far it is. Maybe a 15 mins walk, depending on your pace.

As for charm, I didn't find it particularly charming, but it was well furnished, the color palette is discreet, there's nothing of bad taste, if you know what I mean.
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much Chuut and Ceci for your comments about both hotels That gives me some insight on which one I should choose.

Yes Ceci, that's why I wrote this post, I thought it was bettter that I did a search on the hotels that pleased me and asked about them. This way I am getting advice on what I am looking for
Thanks again

Teresa
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Original Poster

Ceci, just one more thing: do you think the La Ville is worth paying 260 euros a night for a double?
Thanks
Nov 29th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

topping
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Tere, in Florence, I've nothing to compare, since I've only stayed at that lousy Pensione pendini, for which we paid about U$ 100/110 per room at that time. I think the de La Ville cost us something like U$ 180 per room ( a twin) back in March, 2002, still low season.However, since the Euro, prices in Italy became terribly expensive.

I was very pleased with the hotel, for the price I paid. I cought a horrible flu in Florence, my travel companion, a ladyfriend, was clueless ( no Italian, no English speaking at all, only Portuguese), she had a heavy suitcase that she couldn't manage to lift on her own. So I had the concierge to arrange me a doctor visit, and a chauffeured car to drive us to Venice, our next destination, since I sensed that, with her, I wouldn't be able to make it to the train. The concierge organized us a Mercedes driven by a very nice British gentleman, and it didn't cost me an arm and leg. So, all in all, nowadays, and also given the exceptonal service and chic location, I risk to say that yes, it is worth paying 260 Euros per night, but try to get one of their Superior rooms, much larger than the standard.

I also checked Trip Advisor, and de La Ville still gets consistent (rave!) reviews.
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:23 AM

Tere, I stayed at de La Ville in March, 2000, not 2002.
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

I stayed at the J & J a while ago. Nice quiet location, and very large room, but no elevator meant lots of steep, long, flights of stairs. For the price we could have had equally nice accommodations in a building with an elevator. Do they have one now?
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Ceci, it wasn't a nice stay, from what I see,with the flu and your Portuguese travel friend. I am also Portuguese, lol.
But if you think the hotel is great I might consider it. Thanks so much for checking it out for me

Gramercy, thanks for your comments on the J and J hotel. I got a fabulous rate of 210 euros per night for a Junior suite for the 3 of us with breakfast included and I am thinking seriously that it's a good deal!!! I don't know though if they have an elevator now

Nov 29th, 2005, 10:44 AM

Tere, You're welcome! I won't write in Portuguese because it would be a lack of courtesy, since this forum is driven towards an English speaking audience.

I'm Brazilian, and so is my (clueless) friend. hehe..

I was re-reading the reviews on the de La Ville, and saw some rants, complaining on the female concierge. My adorable concierge, a middle aged gentleman, seem to have gone by now. He was very helpful, and made my stay in Florence not so bad. I must say that I don't adore Florence. Its greyish buildings don't do much for me, despite all the art thta is there. I'm happy when I'm by the Arno. Otherwise, when strolling towards the interior streets doesn't make me any good.
Nov 29th, 2005, 12:02 PM

The earlier poster's comment on cotton waffle towels made me laugh. Am I the only person who actually buys waffle towels in Italy to use in my home in the US?
Nov 29th, 2005, 12:15 PM

ekscrunchy -- No! You're not the only one!! I love those waffle towels!
I begged to buy two from a hotel, because I didn't have time to look for them in shops. They thought I was nuts.
Nov 29th, 2005, 12:17 PM

ekscrunchy, I've never found, that I remember, any waffle towels in a hotel bathroom, but bought some for my grandkids in Paris. They are great, very soft to the touch and dry faster ( the kids' bodies and themselves) than the fluffly ones. I would love to have them too!

Tere, are you booking a triple, or 02 rooms? If so, you can get the De La Ville for something like U$ 160, the dbl standard rooms, on Expedia.
Nov 30th, 2005, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Oi Ceci I love Brazil, my favourite destination, wonderful people, food,landscape, beaches, hummmmm!
I have checked the rates in Expedia for the La Ville but I only get 245 USD per night plus taxes for a double for May. I guess not my lucky day, lol.

Obrigada
Teresa
Nov 30th, 2005, 05:35 AM
freiamaya

Hi all!
Hotels are very expensive in Firenze (as you all know) and what you get for your money is quite variable. I have dealt for years with an apartment rental agency www.homesintuscany.net which is a legal, bricks and mortar, rental agency run by an expatriot Brit. To give you an example, an apartment for one week in the Santa Croce area (historic, nice, in the centre, walking distance to everything) with kitchen, washing machine, 2 bedrooms (one with double bed, one with single bed), terrace and patio furniture will set you back less than $150 per night. This will let you have breakfast and lunch at your leisure, and go out for dinner without having to worry about room service costs, and what you get for your $$$. Just a thought!

Nov 30th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Hi!
I saw a place on line called Palazzo Gamba. It is right next to the duomo. You can even ask for a room with a view. I have never been but the reviews and photos are lovely.

My family and I have booked a 3 bdrm 2 bath apartment for 6 adults and 2 children for $250.00 in may. Palazzo dei ciompi. They are reasonable and have a washer and drier on the 2nd floor. Have fun!
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Tere, sorry for that! I Must have checked March, which I was originally looking at for a trip. March is still low season, whereas May is high season already.

Another hotel I was looking into was the Summit Plaza Lucchesi, but the rates are about the same, if a little lower. Something like 240 Euros per night, dbl room. And 135, I guess, for a single. Are you considering a triple or a suite?

Thank you for appreciating my country so much. Indeed, it's beautiful. I'm yet to visit Portugal. As of today, I've been only to the airport in Lisbon, shame on me. Everytime I have planned a trip to Portugal, something happened and the trip had to be cancelled. What a shame!

Did you check the della Signoria and Pierre? Rhey appear to be very nice nand well located!

De nada, Tere!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO