Reload this Page >

Does anyone know of a Mapquest of Italy site

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Donna

Is there a map navaigator site that any one knows about for Italy? I've read so many "lost" or took the long way around stories, I'm a little concerned about driving out of Naples to Sorrento. <BR>Thanks

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 05:08 PM
mikey

Try www.viamichelin.com for all of Europe

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:40 AM
lynn

Hi Donna:<BR>We had great success with mappy.com this year on some very lovely trips through europe on mostly back roads.<BR>Everything was very accurate.<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Me

The city driving is the toughest part. Besides on-line navigator sites, try to find a deailed city map. Although even the best maps don't indicate 1-way streets and there are many. If, when you leave Naples, you can get someone to show you exactly on the map which way to go, do that. The highway driving in Italy is very easy. The city driving could be horrible.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Jim

I pre-printed several Shell Geostar and Michelin step by step guides before my trip to Italy this past June. I found out that they can be easily misunderstood. We made a number of wrong turns because the directions had a tendency to be ambigous. We eventually abandoned them and fell back on the big Michelin Italy map, making our own list of towns along the route and paying close attention to the road signs along the way.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Donna

Thanks for all of the info!<BR>I'll have mu complete itinerary next week will post and hopefully I can get some feed-back, 'cause I'm really trust<BR>advise from you guys on this form.<BR>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM
John H.

Donna,<BR><BR>I always use a combination of computer-generated driving directions and a decent set of maps. Having the visuals to refer to on a physical map when using compueter-generated word-based driving instructions makes the task of getting to and from places much easier. Detailed city maps are also a must if you will be driving within the confines of a city.<BR><BR>Happy travels.<BR><BR>John H.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 12:54 PM
ellen

Try www.mappy.com or www.maporama.com.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 03:33 AM
Julie

I find the Michelin red guides to hotels and restaurants to have the best city maps. Even show one way streets.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 07:55 AM
Sam

Jim: When you say "the big Michelin map", can you be more specific? Where can I get one? I'm only familiar with those green Michelin map/guides, about 10"X4", and I need all the help I can get. Thanks. Sam.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 08:10 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

To all: The 400 series Michelin maps are the best for driving route. There are 4 that cover Italy:<BR># 428=NW<BR># 429=NE<BR># 430=centro<BR># 431=south<BR>Compliment that with the viamichelin routing, and print the detail for your "destination" from the same page.<BR><BR>Best advise for Italy driving--never try to follow road numbers--always believe the " To Sorrento" signs.